2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Possibly looking at a new lease around Dewitt County for next year. Anyone have any info on the hunting around there as far as quality of game in that area?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I hunt between Cuero & Yorktown. I usually see alot of deer but I am still waiting on a decent buck to walk into my sights this season, but Ive only been twice. I am heading there this weekend. Our place is only 120 acres so we get neighbored alot. But if you have a decent sized piece of land it should hold some decent deer. They wont be the South Texas trophies that average 160+...but you can shoot some decent bucks that score around 130 give or take. It is a 1 buck county with a 13" inch rule...and that is actually improving the quality of deer in my opinion. There are a TON OF HOGS!!! And we see our fair share of turkeys, but there is only a spring turkey season. Overall I like it, but like I said our land is small. If you can find a nice chunk of land with good management, I have no doubt the hunting can be great. I did take a decent tall 8 point w/ about a 15" spread last year probably scored about 120. But weve caught glimpses of bigger deer. Theyre out there.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I heard that area was kinda shot out a while back. Is there very many people around there that believe in management? Are alot of the leases around there small tracts?

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
it was very shot out at one time, couldn't even take any does for the longest time while I was in high school... they may be making a comeback but unless it is a nice managed property, pickings will be slim... IMO growing up around the area, a great deer for the area will maybe push high 120's.

·
Registered
315 Posts
No there are bigger leases Im sure. Our land is family owned. And I do believe there are people that believe in good management. I have passed up a few deer that were shootable this year. It was shot out when I was young, I remember rarely seeing a deer 15 years ago. But now I see does ALL OVER THE PLAce and a bunch of young bucks. The deer are definately resurging, the new laws are helping. Our land is too small for doe permits, but bigger tracts probably have them. All in all it would most likely be a cheaper area to hunt, and youll end up with something. But like I said the deer are proportional to the price...and I would try your hardest to get a decent sized piece of land so that if you want to "manage" and pass on some younger bucks, that you dont have to worry about the neighbors shooting them after you pass on em.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts