2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Weatherby U/L chambered for .280 Remington and have had no luck getting it to shoot better than an inch consistently with handloads. I had a 140 Bal. Tip load shooting .610" but only once. That might have been a lot variation in the powder or bullet. I have tried many other powder/projectile combos with the same luck (or un-luck). I have a fan that runs off of a 12v battery to cool down that pencil-thin barrel between shots, I checked my scope mounts and then did a total re-mount with the same results. Factory ammo shoots OK and I really like the gun/caliber so I don't mind the effort. The only thing I haven't done is send the scope back to Leupold for inspection. I had that scope on a .270 Win. that would shoot .147" center to center so at least at that time the scope was performing. All of the other rifles that I have handloaded for have not been this finicky. Anyone have the same issue?

·
Reel Gambler
3,761 Posts
I think I would start with checking the beding of the action and barrel. If it's not floated I'd float it and see how it does. I had a Weatherby Weather Guard that was not floated and it shot very well after I did float the barrel and bedded the action. I'm not sure if yours has a plastic stock or not, but mine had a plastic stock and I added material to the forend to make it stiffer too. It added a tiny bit of weight, but not enough to tell the difference. I took some old aluminum arrows and laid them in the barrel channel with some Bondo...works very good!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Weatheby U/L

CaptnC
Thanks for the input. It is free floated and has an HS Precision Kevlar-reinforced stock with full-length aluminum bedding block. I have considered adding some positive pressure back to the barrel, but that's a pain in the neck to do it right. At least it keeps me shooting, right?

I forgot to add that I use a Stoney Point OAL gauge and vary the COAL with the different bullets.

·
Dont hate the player... hate the game...
2,093 Posts
I have that rifle in 257 weatherby mag. shoots about 1/4" @ 100m. Pretty much ragged hole group as long as you want to waste ammo.

thats with handloads developed for that rifle by MGA in Spring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts