2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 12 week old German Shorthair pup took sick on Sunday morning. I took him to the vet right away when I noticed that he wasn't himself. Vet diagnosed him with parvo. Sucks because I have been doing everything right with him as far as sheltering him and vaccinating him. Seems like he got it from the vet's office during his last visit to get his vaccinations. There were lots of sick dogs with parvo on that day and it was exactly seven days to the date.

We caught it very early fortunately. I decided to leave him at the vet's office for treatment. I would hate to lose the little guy as he has always found his way into our families heart. The vet says that he has a pretty good chance of survival, not 100% but pretty good.

Feeling a little bummed today.

Anyone been through this and made it.

What should I do as far as clean-up and killing the virus especially in my yard?

Any success stories? Just looking for a pick me up.

·
Capt of the spyglass Potlicker club!
12,607 Posts
talk to Oxbow(OxbowOutfitters) his wife is a vet.... look him up and call or PM him

·
DS1262
2,137 Posts
Had a Rot with it. He made a full recovery after many many $. I think we used bleach to disinfect all of his stuff. We didn't do anything special to the yard area. I think once they've had it, they build up an immunity to it. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
I do not have anything positive to add, but I have lost two lab's because of it. It does get in the yard and after losing the first lab I waited 3 years to get the second one and she got sick and died also. I gave up and have not had a dog since.

·
Registered
418 Posts
My previous lab and my brothers lab both had it as puppies. It was touch and go, plus just plain heart breaking to watch two such healthy active puppies get so sick they couldn't raise they're heads or wag a tail. Both recovered fully with absolutely no ill effects what so ever. One lived to be 15 and the other 16. Hope you have the same results.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Spoke with a kennel owner one time that warned about going to places like Petsmart to buy anything, he said too many dogs in and out and you never know which one is
infected. He also said if you do go there to wash what ever you buy with a bleach
solution as well as the shoes you have one. Not to Hi Jack just a thought.

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
it's good that you caught it early. most dogs survive the virus if treated early. parvo is a very contagious virus and is transferred from dog to dog in poop. it's pretty deadly when untreated.

your dog should have antibodies when he recovers, but there is a vaccine available. there's a feline parvovirus, too, so all dog and cat owners should vaccinate their little friend.

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
It was sad to watch mine go also. After thousands of dollars in the emergency room they told me there was nothing else they could do. I would not let them put her down, so I spent three nights without any sleep trying to keep her hydrated. I was strong until my wife started crying, I kept telling myself it is just a dog but it didnt help. My wife said that was the first tear she had ever seen me shed.

·
Registered
497 Posts
My healer had it and after seeing what the vet wanted, my wife decided to take care of him. I did'nt think he was going to make it. She got him some medicine and gave him IV's and he is going on 3 years now. Also have 3 others that have never caught it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sorry to hear about your pup. Surely hope he makes it. For what its worth, have always heard parvo once in the ground, stays in the ground.

:texasflag

·
Registered
219 Posts
My father used to raise Pointers, We had as many as 100 dogs at a time and as many pups. One time we went out to the puppy kennel and some of the pups looked sick, so off to the vet we go after 50 or so pups died we used lime on the dirt kennels and waited for 2 yrs to raise anymore in that puppy kennel

·
Registered
5,803 Posts
Our female Pug had parvo when she was barely eight weeks old. Three days on an IV and almost two thousand dollars later she pulled through.

She still has the little scar on her leg from the IV but is otherwise perfectly healthy.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Puppies need to be vaccinated right after birth, I think it is a series of 2 shots. It kills puppies that have not been vaccinated.

·
Boatright custom flats
3,829 Posts
I'm afraid I don't have anything positive to add. We lost 2 yorky's earlier this year to parvo. The sickness came on very suddenly and was a horrible experience. The pups were only 4 months old. After visiting the vet, he gave the girl pup a 20% chance of survival. She lasted 2 more days after the vet visit. About 3-4 days later, the boy started showing signs of the same illness. (completely stopped eating/drinking, yellow vomit, loss of bowel control etc). We put him down before it got too bad.

I had never really heard of parvo up until this summer. It left an impression on me of how awful of a disease it is. We had read that if you spray your yard w/bleach, it would help to get rid of it. Also read that you shouldn't have another dog in the area for up to 9 months afterwards. Not sure how accurate either of those statements are though.

On a positive note, it's good to hear your vet giving him a good chance to pull thru. In the meantime, wash anything and everything the dog has come in contact with, with a strong bleach solution.

·
Banned
960 Posts
I used to breed dogs and from MY experience, parvo is caused by a series of things including dehydration, overheating, and from contaminates in the yard. It is commonly spread through the vomit and the boo boo. You cant vaccinate a pup when it is first born, but the earliest I would do it is 4-6 weeks. When the pups are feeding on the mom, unless the mom is sick they will be protected from parvo unless u totally seperate them from the mom. The older the pup the better chance it'll survive and if it does survive then it'll become immune.

I've lost whole litters of pups from parvo, but on one occasion I had a pup get bit by a spider and almost died. Then my uncle brought some sick pups over and infected all of mine while I was fishing. The pup that got bit by the spider was the only survivor. Named her miracle.

You need to spray you entire yard with bleach solution about 3 times and clean everything with bleach. Keep your pup away from too many people. Good luck.

·
More There than here..Gone fishin....
3,926 Posts
Not true.. 6 months...& its gone unless U bleach it.. then its gone Immediatly
& were 13 n O & kickn the snott out of the parvo...THIS YEAR ALONE
if anyone gets/has a Parvo pup..
Doc has a 99% win Ratio with it
another 2 cooler brought his sons dog in with it in the last month & she won that also..another GSP
my best advice...
STAY AWAY FROM DOG PARKS..
2 MANY FOLKS TAKE UNTREATED ANIMALS THERE WITH NO SHOTS..
when in Doubt.. just ask on the Board..someone has my cell #
& we wont rape ya with an outrageous bill

Oxx,,:biggrin:

Sorry to hear about your pup. Surely hope he makes it. For what its worth, have always heard parvo once in the ground, stays in the ground.

:texasflag

·
Registered
357 Posts
There is apparently a new strain of the parvo virus going around that attacks adult dogs. Local news (Corpus) just had it on the news today

·
Banned
8,277 Posts
Ox is an upstanding cat, he will lead you in the right direction, excellent clinic his wife runs. The little terrorist's and Sandy are patients. rs

·
More There than here..Gone fishin....
3,926 Posts
its not new but a Hybred strain.. as bad as it sounds.. Doc's lookin forward to seeing it.. She Lives to do the impossible...:help: lmao
2g's is Insane.. :eek:
I hope you got a kiss when they got done with ya'll :spineyes:

There is apparently a new strain of the parvo virus going around that attacks adult dogs. Local news (Corpus) just had it on the news today

·
http://www.profishingresearch.co m
2,953 Posts
After you see what they go through it's better to put em down when they get parvo.

Biggie

1 - 20 of 22 Posts