2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If so, how do you like it? I like and extra firm bed so I think I could get the mattress as firm as I like.

What is the highest number setting? I see people advertising these beds and saying their number is 65. Is that very firm? Thanks

·
I Member Like It Was Yesterday
3,473 Posts
If so, how do you like it? I like and extra firm bed so I think I could get the mattress as firm as I like.

What is the highest number setting? I see people advertising these beds and saying their number is 65. Is that very firm? Thanks
The big selling feature about these beds is the adjustable air matress in side. The numbers are based on 5-100 (0 being deflated - 100 being fully inflated) the way to find your number (at least how they did it in the store) is to pump all the way to 100, then release air (lower the control) until your fully comfortable. Now this is great if you sleep on your back (most people don't). I've had one for two years now and can't sleep more than 6 hours then move to my recliner for the rest of the night. I can sleep 8 or more hours in my recliner (or even drive my truck for 15-20) with no back problems. Back to your question "is that firm" not real firm I would think 80 or 90 would be considered firm (at 65 I'm in a little bit of a hole but I'm bigger than most) Hope this is just enough to not confuss you but, if I had to do it all over again, I would go a different route.

·
DS1262
2,137 Posts
I have one in my motor home and at home. Absolutely hate them both. Wake up every morning with a backache no matter how they are set. Only reason I keep them is because the wife likes them. I've heard that the Serta memory mattresses are far better.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Stayed in a hotel with one for a few nights and was most uncomfortable bed ever. It even felt like an air mattress and was not even throughout the side I was on. It made an impression on me that I didn't want one.

·
Fishing :you must be present to win.
2,161 Posts
wow i'm surprised by the negative feedback. glad to know we are going to buy a new mattress soon. saved me from wasting money on that. thanks

·
Hold my beer.....
4,025 Posts
people seem to either love them or hate them.....and it seems most are leaning towards hating it! we use to sell them in my store but they were problematic and people hated them so i stopped selling them! ive had many people come by in their rv's and throw away the new mattress and go with another sort (usually a memory foam)

i would look to another style of mattress and if you need anything let me know and ill help you out

·
I Member Like It Was Yesterday
3,473 Posts
I have one in my motor home and at home. Absolutely hate them both. Wake up every morning with a backache no matter how they are set. Only reason I keep them is because the wife likes them. I've heard that the Serta memory mattresses are far better.
Do they offer a 30 day money back deal? I'm ready try something different.
had a Sterns and Foster already (that didn't get it either)

·
Registered
389 Posts
We love ours. Nothing like being able to adjust hardness. My wife and I like different firmness so this solved that problem. When you work all day on your feet, you can make it even firmer to help out your back.
I don't have anything negative to say, after 5 yrs, other than it's a little high in cost. But, after going through a couple of mattresses, it was money well spent.

Oh, it did take a week to get use to it. Not that it was a bad sleep, but that it's different.

·
Living life in the 77H20 zip code
848 Posts
We've had one for about 2 years now and I have mixed feelings about it. It is really just a glorified air mattress. I have adjusted my number from low to high and can honestly say I have not found "the perfect" number.

I can tell you one thing, if you buy the dual chamber bed so that you and your mate can select your own settings, be ready for some fun if your numbers are far apart !!!! If your an 80 and she is a 30, the mattress height difference is very significant.

Meaning if you are on 80 and she is on 30 and you roll to the center of the bed, be ready to fall off the edge of a cliff !!!! LMAO Vice versa for the partner on 30 trying to get to your loved one on 80, she's got a cliff to climb to get to you.

Sleep number has sent us all sorts of different foam inserts to put in the center of the bed to try to smooth the transition, but it only helps so much.

·
Let's Go Fishin Boss!
7,913 Posts
We love ours. Nothing like being able to adjust hardness. My wife and I like different firmness so this solved that problem. When you work all day on your feet, you can make it even firmer to help out your back.
I don't have anything negative to say, after 5 yrs, other than it's a little high in cost. But, after going through a couple of mattresses, it was money well spent.

Oh, it did take a week to get use to it. Not that it was a bad sleep, but that it's different.
I gotta agree with Torque on this one. We have had ours for about 10 years or so and we absolutely love it. I'm a 76 and the wife is a mid 60's.

·
Registered
238 Posts
We've had one for over 15 years. The settings range from 0 to 100. How firm the mattress is at a particular number depends largly on the wieght of the person. It goes from rock hard to way too soft.

My wife and I both have bad backs and the great thing about it is that we vary the numbers from day to day depending on what's hurting. Can't do that with any other mattress.

Gary

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sleep Number? - you betcha

Sleep Number in my opinion is the best. Had the opportunity to sleep on one for a little over a year. I am not a back sleeper unless I'm in my La-Z-Boy recliner. I usually start on my side, flip flop back and forth a few times, turn on my stomach, back to the side, stomach, repeat throughout the night. Restless I guess. With the Sleep Number it doesn't matter how you lie on it seems to always offer even support. This is important to me because the pressure points such as hips and shoulders, if on a conventional mattress, will become the supporting points which always causes me to have a not so good nights sleep. I'm back on an inexpensive mattress and it hurts my hips. I got what I paid for no doubt. I should know better because I used to sell mattresses. Couldn't afford a better one at the time. Prior to the Sleep Number I had purchased a top of the line Simmons plush mattress. That one I liked but after a short time the wife didn't. Too firm for her. By the way her number was around 40 and mine was around 70. It was nice being able to adjust the Sleep Number up or down too depending on how the old body felt that night.

I would not buy a memory mattress for a couple of reasons. 1. - they are hot to sleep on. The foam does not offer air circulation. 2. - the foam does not last very long. We used to have sample foam pieces at the store. After less than a year they lost most of their resiliency. What you have left in the mattress is an imprint of where you laid. Makes it hard to turn when you have to roll out of a crater.

If you plan on going the conventional route take your time trying them out. I would even take my own pillow and lay on one the way I would at home. Lay on it for ten, fifteen minutes or even longer. Don't be like some people and just sit on the edge of the bed, bounce up and down a couple of times and say yup or nope. Take your time. It can be a large $$$ investment.

When I can, I will have another Sleep Number bed. Even if it's for myself this time.
That's my $.01. Don't have $.02.

Good luck!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts