2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if anyone has fished Inks Lake right under Buchanan lake on the Colorado River? We're going to be spending a few days there and my son and I wanna catch us some fish. Preferably from walking the shore...

Any advice?

·
Registered
402 Posts
I haven't fished it in quite a while. But, am pretty sure the water level is going to be pretty darn low. My brother has a house on Buchanan and his floating dock is sitting high and dry right now.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Inks is a constant level lake. Only Buchanan and Travis water levels flutuate, so you should be ok there. I've been fishing Buchanan some this summer but not Inks so I'm afraid I can't help you with that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Think that most of the bass are guadalupe bass there. fished for them some...
cant even remember how good it was... maybe holding tongue wrong?!?!?

Gotta have the fat cats though. Dump some range cubes in a good spot and hang out. Cold drinks, lies, and bait is a recipe for fun anywhere.

Have fun that is a beautiful area.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Did vacation there a looooooooong time ago. I remember finding a place to run a small (about 5 hook) trotline, and surprisingly pulling in several cats in the 8-10 pound range. That'll get a kid excited, fast.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I went to camp at camp longhorn which is on inks lake. We would catch a bunch of cats and carp. One year I caught at big carp on a fly which was loads of fun. Also i remember catching a 9lb bass under one of the cabins on the water with a live perch we caught earlier.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Inks Lake

x- girl friend had a lake house there. Had a lot of great times sking and fishing. As someone posted above the water level should be fine it is a constant level lake. For the fishing there is not bank fishing unless you fish the west side. They use to have a marina that was like a boat house you could fish from don't know if it is still there. Also you can go to the dam below Buccannon where inks lake starts and fish from there or go to inks dam and fish from there also. We always fished from a boat we caught a lot of bass down toward inks lake state park. We use to run limb lines on the north end and catch a lot of big catfish by the time we would get them all baited with perch we would already have the first limbs going crazy. Awsome sking lake they use to rent jet skis and thing at the marina right under the bridge on 29. Every time i cross that lake going to the deer lease sure brings back some memories. Lets us know how you do. Brian

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
We used to camp and fish there quite a bit. We would do pretty well on topwaters in the early morning under Buchanan Dam where it widens out a bit. Also used to do really well bowfishing at night.

·
I just love rod threads! No Spam baby
3,776 Posts
It's spelling Incs ! LOL

No , but I know where Inc's reef is.
It's hole a honey hole off 1 corner that rocks.
Always good for a red or too and we've won a couple tourneys off it.

·
Not on call Steve!!
2,840 Posts
We went there this summer and I attempted to fish a little. Went towards the dam and saw some nice size fish hitting the top of the water. Wasn't for sure what they were and tried to catch something with everything I had in the tackle box. Wife and kid got bored with me so packed up and rode around. LOL!!
Pretty lake, but not as pretty as it seems on the pics. Kinda disappointed actually. Very small lake too.
Be careful around the dam. Very swift current up that way.
BTW, a lot of deer around the state park if that interest you.
Have fun....
Steve

·
Let's Go Fishin Boss!
7,913 Posts
Fishing Rocks During The Springtime!

The white bass & hybrid fishing is great in the springtime below Buchanan dam. Most of the locals have great success with a clear topwater like a torpedo. Tie a 8" +/- mono trailer at the back of the lure with a white jig and you can catch them two at a time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts