2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed to Galveston from Montgomery last Wednesday to catch some big uglies on light tackle. Well we tore them up big time( pictures to come) and I'm glad we did because on arrival to the Galveston Yacht basin I found that I only had 3 of my 4 rods in the back of the boat. Talk about poed, brand new Castaway Skeleton and a Curado with braid gone. Thought it was gonna be one of those days ( wind howling) but ended up putting in a 46" big ugly and 42" red among numerous more fish. Cracked crab on the Jettys couldnt be funner on light tackle.

·
Living Life for a Living....
5,724 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss. Just a note; I keep all rods and reels in the cab of my truck while transporting. I've had the luck of running in the stop & rob to get ice ect... and come out to find no rod in the boat :(

Never leave them in the boat!

·
Registered
18 Posts
That's true I never leave them in reach for someone else besides me. Keep them in the truck where they are safe. Sorry for your loss that does suck. If it makes you feel any better I lost one in the marsh in matagorda several years ago. I kicked it right out of the rod holder. Never new it till I got to where I was going. Glad you had a good trip besides losing your rod and reel.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well IM headed home and want to resolve my problem. Im thinking of either a store bought truck bed holder or just putting them in the cab. Thanks for the condolences guys!

·
Hook-N-Reel
995 Posts
I saw a advertisement in a magazine that they make a rod holder that fits into bed of truck and holds rods at <45 degree angle and it somehow locks the rods in so they can not be stolen... im gonna try to find it again and I'll post it up

·
Registered
112 Posts
As long as they are under 7 feet just slide them into the passanger seat and angle them towards the seat behind the driver.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
That's exactly why my next boat will have rod lockers. When I bought the boat I have now I didn't really think they were that important. Now I kick myself for not making them a necessity. For now I just strap them down to a crate I carry in the bed and lock the bed cover. But I still have to strap any coolers and things to keep them from sliding into the rods.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
33 Posts
That sucks, Always put them inside cab of truck, can't trust anyone nowadays , if it make you feel better, I lost lid to my igloo , bad part was I knew I needed to replace the hinges, n I saw it fly out , n time I made it back , 18-wheeler already ran it over

·
Registered
663 Posts
Theyll just steal the truck and have some rods too.
Not when someone can just "yahoooooo" your gear when you aren't looking and grab your loose gear from your truck bed and/or boat. Happened to a 2cooler here a while back. The perp grabbed the rod/reel and took off running. Wish I remember the 2cooler it happened to.

·
Hook-N-Reel
995 Posts
Not when someone can just "yahoooooo" your gear when you aren't looking and grab your loose gear from your truck bed and/or boat. Happened to a 2cooler here a while back. The perp grabbed the rod/reel and took off running. Wish I remember the 2cooler it happened to.
I remember that... he said he was sitting in the drive-thru at Whataburger they snuck up from behind then grab from bed of truck and run. He said he couldn't chase them down cuz he had his kids with him.
See the rod lock would prevent that... we will NEVER be able to be thief proof, just gotta try the best we can. Plus if they still my truck I'll be smiling when the insurance $$$$ comes rolling in

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I found one on Amazon that looks pretty good for $170.( No lock though!) It looks alot cleaner than something I could build I think. I do have a aluminum welding friend that owes me a favor so maybe we can cook something up. Ill post up some pictures with whatever I figure out. Might be a fun project! I know that most of my trips include at least 2 stops to the gas station and 1 to a fast food joint, so Ill have to come up with something that will lay down and lock.

·
Registered
15,017 Posts
Oh well I saw a truck on HW45 with a funny looking radio antenna and it looked like a fishing rod. The driver was somewhat angry showing his fist at the antenna!

====

1 - 18 of 18 Posts