2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always fish in Texas but I have to go to Tampa Florida next week for work. Does anyone know any places where I can surf fish while I'm there? I hope to fish for anything big. Any help I can get would REALLY be appreciated!
Thanks,
Buckett

·
Registered
762 Posts
might try postin...

Give the folks on the FLorida Surf Board a holler. I know that some of them live and fish the West side.

LAter,
SR

·
Registered
496 Posts
I did some research a few years ago when we were going to Anna Maria Island south of Tampa. The skyline bridge pier is an old causeway that is now a fishing pier. They catch a lot of the fish we catch in the surf off of the pier. You could do a search and find someone that does fishing reports for the pier. The surf at Anna Maria is pretty shallow. I only caught a few whiting and snagged a couple of cownose rays but it was March and overcast so the weather wasn't the greatest when I was there. The day we were leaving some locals were fishing with live and dead shrimp under a popping cork cast to dark patches(rocks?) about 50 yards offshore. They were doing pretty well on sheepshead and panfish.

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
I have a good friend that lives on Anna Maria and surf fishing is not worth it. You should fish the bay off of the old causway to get any results or just before you go over the new bridge you can pull off and fish the area around the mangrove looking trees along the bay shoreline. They catch lots o fish around there. most of the rest of the bayline is private

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
we fished off a pier on the beach and i caught blues and mac on artificial. saw sharks and rays in the water. as far as actually fihsing the surf, i think most of the beach access is pay to get on and lots of swimmers. i went to a st park an hour or so north of tampa and got into a couple snook on plastics. i think it was called honeymoon island. fish the rocks.

also we took a guide out of tampa bay and did well on snook and trout fishing the mangroves.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts