2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking pretty hard at these (1500 Ext Cab w/ V6 2wd). Anybody here run one of these? I am a little worried about the lack of power with the V6.

I would like to step up to the V8, but the price on the V6 (newspaper specials) is killer.

How is the power on these? Gas mileage? How much can it realistically tow? It is rated for 7200lbs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey look...my first post....

I have the v6, 2004, and while you won't beat anybody down the block in a race, it is ok to pull just about anything I want to pull with it...assuming you keep it under about 4500 pounds...

Again, it's not great, but it's not bad and will get me down the road and to the water....you will actually be suprised how well it does tow, my rig, fully gassed and geared' is about 2400 pounds and I really don't have a problem towing it...

It also depends on how many hills you have in your area...

·
Banned
214 Posts
The V6's are really debeat a V8. I have a 97 V8 and it's great. I know you like the price of the 6.....but personally, I think in the long run...you will rater have the 8. What year are you looking at ??? My '97 gets about 19MPG..........350 miles on a tank of gas......300 or so if I pull the boat often on that tank.
Go with what your gut feels right about !!!

·
Charter Member
5,923 Posts
Keiffer, my only experience with a V-6 was in an 88 Chevy Astro Van. It pulled my alum boat just fine (I had two different boats). The problem started when I bought a 18 foot Kenner. It pulled it OK on flat ground but suffered some on hills and overpasses. The farther I went, the hotter the engine temp got. I finally quit using it and switched over to my 93 Chevy ext cab w/350. That cured the problem.
Hope this info helps.
Mike

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
harvey/mary said:
What year are you looking at ???
Go with what your gut feels right about !!!
Looking at the new 2006 models. It is a hard call since the redesigned 2007s will be out near the end of the year. I doubt they'll be dealing on those until the 2006 are gone.

No hills in South Houston - everything drains down to the coast anyhow, right?

Just looking at the newspaper ads - $12,990 for a 2006 ext cab v6. Wow.

·
Just call me Breeze
17,287 Posts
That newspaper ad is probably one truck that is already sold. I owned one for ten years. 300K miles. I have a V-8 now. Go with a V-8. Get a used one if you have to.

·
Registered
376 Posts
GO V8. The resale on the V6 sux pond water. That is why you can find them cheap. Not that the engine is junk, they don't sell well. If you are looking to buy the truck and keep it till it rots and do not need extra power then buy one. Otherwise go V8. Better trade-in/sell outright later and better towing if you need it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
truck

I've got the 2003 Ext cab Silverado Z71 w/v8...........26 gal tank, 400 miles per tank. Go with the V8 if possible. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Go with the v8 I have the v6 in a reg cab and the gas mileage is great but when trying to pull something it is not all that good. I wish I had the v8 now b/c my buddy has pretty much the same truck I do but with 5.3l v8 and his gets about the same gas mileage but can pull alot better and faster.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts