2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
We all have it coming......
8,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have some tree's growing on our ranch with this fruit (?) growing on it (see below). This is the first time I've noticed it so I was curious what it might be. When I cut it open, it didn't smell sweet. Smelled kinda bitter like a Chinaberry. Wasn't brave enough to taste it. However, when we got back the next morning, something had eaten everything but the seeds out of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Looks like it could be an unripe buckeye fruit (nut)

·
Registered
403 Posts
do you have a pic of the tree itself?? i'll go look in one of my tree books see if i can fine it

justin

·
8,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have a pic of the tree. And, I don't think it's a Buckeye fruit. This was along the Guadalupe river in South Texas.

·
8,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Badhabit said:
Hey, Thats Dabo's nads after he nailed himself with the Tazer... I think he wants them back....LOL
Tell him I found them up a tree in South Texas and the ***** ate what was left of them Saturday night. ROFLMAO!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yep, that's a buckeye. Good thing you didn't taste it. Give them a few more weeks and they'll open up and drop out.

·
8,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chris said:
Yep, that's a buckeye. Good thing you didn't taste it. Give them a few more weeks and they'll open up and drop out.
Are you positive? Do they have them this far south? I understood Buckeyes to have 1 or 2 seeds. This one had at least 3.

BTW...What if I had tasted it:question:

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm positive, I have them all over my place, I checked my book and it shows they do grow down your way, but you are on the edge of the line for them. Look at the leaves and they should be long and narrow, pointed on the end. In the spring there will be dark/bright red flowers on the tree. They can have normally 1-3 seeds but occasionally I've seen more. The trees will usually lose the leaves in late summer so they might not still be there now. I don't know what it'll do to you but we were always told they were poisonous. My book says the Indians used the ground up seeds to stun fish in streams. Must be some stout stuff. A buckeye is supposed to be good luck. Guess I don't have that kind.

·
Registered
240 Posts
There is an old wives tale that goes something like if you carry a buckeye in your pocket you will have good luck but for the most part it's only the Woody Hayes lovin Ohio State faithful such as myself that believes that. Yes that is a Buckeye I'm not sure of the species but they do grow as far south as southern florida. especially along rivers.

·
8,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey BS:

It shore is. No doubt. I knew a jam up investigator like yersef wood git to da bottum of dis.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts