2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hunting in San Augustine County this year. It is 30 miles east of Lufkin.

I was just wondering if I had anybody that was gonna be near me this year.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hunting East Texas

Hey,
I'll be hunting in the Zavalla area with my brother.Other brother and 2 Uncles will be hunting in the Huntington area .Got to watch out for that Huntington cop.He is always watching the one light at Huntington.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hey,
Are you hunting in the National Forest?

·
Vendor
2,793 Posts
East Tx

I typically hunt in the hill country but also have a small place just north of Livingston. (about 400 acres) The best deer I have seen was in the 130's a couple of years ago. (IMO). Never was able to get a shot. I'll let ya know if we see anything newsworthy. It appears we will have a decent year as far as that area is concerned. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
duck hunting on rayburn,t-bend and dam-b.lived in lufkin for a year.now live in

jasper.also hunt upper coast.

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Etoile

I am hunting on paper company land in Nagocdoches county. The far east corner of our lease is at hwy 103 and hwy 95 about 5 miles out of Etoile.

Tom

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the tip Roger1shot! Any help is appreciated. I will be careful to watch my ps and qs in Huntington.

I am at 103 and 147 right on the edge of Angelina Forest. It is a private land lease. It is my first year to hunt this lease, and the weird thing is I havent seen any traces of hogs.?

wrp I am planning to duck hunt those two tributaries that brach off of the Rayburn Lake, one of them turns into the angelina river. Any good hot spots?

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
BARBQ said:
GUNnROD any advice for that area?
The area is so diverse it all depends upon your tract of land.

I can tell you that the rut normally starts the last week of october and will be in full swing by the gun opener.

I know there is some outstanding ducking hunting but I have never taken advantage of it.

As for the hogs. These have got to be the smarted animals around. The areas I hunt are covered in hog tracks but I have never seen one. I guess they are pretty much nocturnal.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sweet, the rut start when I will be there on opening day.

The hogs are really niether day or nocturnal. Whenever it gets cool they may come out in the day, but as soon as they get any pressure it is back to nights. They are so adaptable it drives me insane!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have a farm in Camp Co. in NE texas that I hunt regularly and I also hunt Tyler County several times a year, have a small lease and access to some other good land there. Both places have always been productive enough for me.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is what I am hoping to achieve. Nothing huge or record breaking but a consistency of sightings and a few kills.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Rusk

I hunt in Cherokee County between Rusk and Nacadoches. It's my wife's families land. I've bee hunting it for about 11 years now and her family have been hunting it for about 35 years or more. It's a good mix of river bottoms and pine forest. About 1/2 and 1/2 I guess. Tough hunting sometimes especially late in the season. Hogs are sporatic. We always get several a year even though not many people target them on our land. We always manage to get at least 2 or 3 good (for East Texas) deer a year. I've seen several dress out around 170 lbs in the 140 class.

·
Malt Beverage Diety
1,385 Posts
On the banks

of the muddy Angelina, at the south end of Nacogdoches County...

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fri
Nov 05 - Mostly Sunny 64°/39° 20 % Sat
Nov 06 - Mostly Sunny 67°/42° 20 %

Sun
Nov 07 - Mostly Sunny 69°/49° 20 %

102 Posts
Hunting Jasper opening weekend

I will be hunting Jasper this weekend, hoping the weather will be cold enough to hunt. Last year the wasp's drove me crazy in the blind, plus it was too hot to hunt.
I just don't relish the idea of hunting in shorts and no shirt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts