Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of set up do you use?

Jig type?
Vanes?
offset?
helical?
glue?
Use wraps?

Thinking about starting to play with it. I've got some carbons that need refletching and I'm thinking of trying some Blazers on them.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
TXPalerider said:
What kind of set up do you use?

Thinking about starting to play with it. I've got some carbons that need refletching and I'm thinking of trying some Blazers on them.
Jig type? I have 2 Jo-Jan's 1 right helical and 1 straight
Vanes? it depends I am always trying something new but Mostly AAE's
offset? usually 5 degrees
helical? Right
glue? Fletch Tite
Use wraps? No

·
Certified Animal Chiropractor
7,652 Posts
Pale one.. the type of arrow rest you are using is going to determine the answer to some of you questions.. for instance are you right handed or left handed, do you shoot a shoot threw arrow rest, a whisker bisquit, or a really fancy thinga magigy !! Walker

·
Registered
131 Posts
Jig type? Hohning = the red plastic one
Vanes? 2 inch Blazer…
offset?
helical? Right
glue? Fletch tite
Use wraps yes

I also have a zip strip to remove the vanes……….
I can do about 6 arrows in an hour. It is a very easy process….

stew

·
Certified Animal Chiropractor
7,652 Posts
Pale, Its not supposed to make a big differnce on your helical when using a whisker biscuit but you could play around with a few and see what works..I would try a slight right to a straight to see what works best..(You must have a helical of some type to get best performance with a broadhead) I also think that vanes would give you greater longevity using a biscuit.. I like 3'' myself.. Walker
TXPalerider said:
Walker,

I'm right handed and use a whisker biscuit.

·
We all have it coming......
8,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm gonna give the Blazers a try and see how I like them.

But, that's kinda why I want to get into fletching my own arrows....so i can experiment. I'm just trying to get some input from folks who are currently doing it, and what types of equipment they have had success with.

·
Banned
906 Posts
My father uses Blazers with a helical style and I use feathers in helical. Both on carbon arrows with fletch tight glue.

He really likes them and is trying to talk me into using them.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
TXPalerider said:
Walker,

I'm right handed and use a whisker biscuit.
Pale, On my tournament bows I shoot helical fletch (feathers indoor and spin wing vanes outdoor) but on my hunting rig (When I was using a whisker Biscuit) I switched to straight fletch because they flew much better. Now I have switched to a drop away rest and have gone back to helical because they seem to fly better off of it.

If you have a fletching jig where you can make changes without paying someone a fortune, I recommend fletching arrows in groups of 3 with different sizes/styles of fletching and shooting them a few times to see what works best for your setup.

·
W.W.
7,397 Posts
Although I havn't fletched any carbon I have fletched 100s of allum but has been several yrs back. I would never use feathers on a hunting arrow unless you hunt indoors, as any type of moisture will cause them to lay down unless you spray with hairspray not to mention slower. A helical fletch is slower than a little off str8, if your bows not properly tuned (paper tested) the helical will help the arrow flight, but for me just off str8 and plastic off a well tuned bow for the MAX. WW

1 - 10 of 10 Posts