2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have or know of anyone that has a spare alternater for a 250 merc efi? I want to keep one on the boat as a spare and dont want to have to buy a brand new one for a backup. Just something that would get me back. I'd love to buy a used one cheap. The reason I ask on the board here is because it seems like there are so many people that are willing to help and give info. Thanks for helping me hunt a used one down for a spare. I will be buying one tommorrow for 375 dollars.

Thanks

Tim

·
Registered
654 Posts
Tim
I'm not sure what type of alternator mercury uses, but it might be worthwhile to see if it can be rebuilt. Call texas alternator in north austin and ask them. It would be alot cheaper and you would know that you had a good one. I can get you the number if need it, just call me during the day and I have the number at the office.

Andy
Captains Playmate

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Since you are wanting a spare, check with www.ishopmarine.com, they usually have rebuilt starters and alternators at a fair price. Having a spare alternator on board may be a bit of overkill as far as spare parts go. They don't fail that often, a spare fully charged Optima type (dry) battery makes more since to me. my $.02

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I figured it all out. i was told by someone on the island that I wont say where they work, that the alternater couldnt be rebuilt. I'm about to get it rebuilt today.

Thanks everyone.

Tim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts