2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to see Matthew Jacobe today, he's doing fine. We even got to take his truck out for a spin before the rains came and I showed his dad how to charge batteries, etc. so he can play with it on his own time. The radio holder I got from Randy is going to work great, but he still has trouble with the trigger on the pistol grip radio. Anybody have a 2 channel or better stick radio I can buy/borrow? We want to try him with that. The Rx he has is 75 mhz AM, so if anybody has one like that it would be super, b/c I already gave him some extra xtals. He's looking forward to coming to race. Just need to get him going so he can get a little driving practice then he says it's game on!

·
Registered
966 Posts
That's great news CJ! Glad to hear he is feeling better!:dance:

Man, I wish I still had some of my old stuff, I used to have a bunch of stick radios. They are kinda hard to find these days. If nobody has one I have a Traxxas pistol I could chop up, might be able to make something that would work. :work:

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, thanks guys. I saw that one, but there's a Futaba one for $45 that should work with his existing xtals and Rx. That's the way I'm going if I buy a new one. Besides, the Tx xtal isn't available for the Hitec right now. I need some help from you flyboys. One thing to remembevr is that Matty has to steer left handed b/c his right doesn't have the speed to handle it. So, I was thinking I'd have to flip a 2 channel backwards to put the steering on the left, then reverse the servos so left was left and right was right. That would leave the antenna pomited back behind him, LOL. But Wayne says that with a 4 channel I can program either side to be steering, and that you can also set either side so it has a spring loaded return for throttle like a pistol radio. There's a 4 channel Hitec 75 FM on eBay right now for a Buy it Now of $50. If all that's true, I'm going to buy it. Somebody clue me in, I know nothing about stick radios.

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
cjtamu said:
Wow, thanks guys. I saw that one, but there's a Futaba one for $45 that should work with his existing xtals and Rx. That's the way I'm going if I buy a new one. Besides, the Tx xtal isn't available for the Hitec right now. I need some help from you flyboys. One thing to remembevr is that Matty has to steer left handed b/c his right doesn't have the speed to handle it. So, I was thinking I'd have to flip a 2 channel backwards to put the steering on the left, then reverse the servos so left was left and right was right. That would leave the antenna pomited back behind him, LOL. But Wayne says that with a 4 channel I can program either side to be steering, and that you can also set either side so it has a spring loaded return for throttle like a pistol radio. There's a 4 channel Hitec 75 FM on eBay right now for a Buy it Now of $50. If all that's true, I'm going to buy it. Somebody clue me in, I know nothing about stick radios.
If I remember correctly, on a 3 chanel stick radio for planes you set up the throttle and rudder on the left stick. The right gimble is for the elevator. I would shy away from a return spring on the throttle though.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, thanks. See what you have LoneSA, I'll hold off on the other. Biff, I want the throttle to work like a pistol grip would where it comes back to neutral when you let off the trigger. He doesn't have the fine motor skills on that side to have to bring it back to neutral. But it was cool today, he was using his right hand on his radio and his parents were really excited, it's about as much as he's ever used it for anything.

·
PDiddy
1,828 Posts
I have $15-$20 in PayPal right now that I can give towards whatever you decide CJ! Just let me know and I can transfer da fundage!

PD2:cool:

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Just went out to look at my stash. I have an old futaba stick that I gave to my father-in-law back when. Got it back after his passing in 1992. 75.750 but for the life of me can't find where the crystal is. Did they make one that was fized back then? It's yours if there is a wasy to change it out.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know Biggie. Planning to go to K&M this weekend, if I haven't found anything by then you can bring it with you and we'll see.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think we're in bidness boys. Stopped at the LHS in S'Land to look at stick radios to see what would work. They had a 2ch Futaba AM that I think will be perfect, and they had it on 75 mhz so it will work with his existing Rx. So, now he has a spare Rx and a couple of spare servos too. If anybody wants to donate you can Paypal to [email protected] but it's not necessary. Hope they're around this weekend so we can try it out.

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
cjtamu said:
I think we're in bidness boys. Stopped at the LHS in S'Land to look at stick radios to see what would work. They had a 2ch Futaba AM that I think will be perfect, and they had it on 75 mhz so it will work with his existing Rx. So, now he has a spare Rx and a couple of spare servos too. If anybody wants to donate you can Paypal to [email protected] but it's not necessary. Hope they're around this weekend so we can try it out.
Coming at ya! :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts