2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With all the progress I am experiencing looking for a new career I am considering Putting my 1 ton to running hotshot service with a delivery company. 8 ft bed p/u . Has anybody got feedback ?is there any money to be made If so about how much? The people I talked to said 75% of load. Diesel now over 2.00 I am wondering if this is a way to work. Truthfully I would rather go back into sales or run a shop for somebody else. PS I still have one forklift for sale.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Fuel and Insurance....

fridayfisher said:
With all the progress I am experiencing looking for a new career I am considering Putting my 1 ton to running hotshot service with a delivery company. 8 ft bed p/u . Has anybody got feedback ?is there any money to be made If so about how much? The people I talked to said 75% of load. Diesel now over 2.00 I am wondering if this is a way to work. Truthfully I would rather go back into sales or run a shop for somebody else. PS I still have one forklift for sale.
I have a client that owns a large hotshot outfit in Houston. He said fuel and insurance are eating his lunch right now. The liability insurance coverage is the first obstacle. If you have an at fault accident and you're not properly covered, your insurance company could deny the claim and you could get sued for everything you've got or will ever have.

If you can round up some solid job prospects, you've got a shot. However, with today's economy, it's going to be tough to find outfits that are actually looking for a new delivery company. We are not seeing the expansion in the manufacturing industry needed to generate increased demand for more drivers.

Just my .02. I wish you all the luck.........Q

·
Banned
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mean working for Venture

I talked to venture . I have been out of work for 3 months and since I was self employed I have to unemployment to draw on. I have a forklift to sell to survive on til a check comes in. I was looking into driving for Venture. Using my truck leased to them . I just wonder if you can make enough (any)money in a pickup as opposed to a flat bed or trailer/combo.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
I did for a couple of yrs.

I had a 1 ton 12' stake bed, I ran with Mustang Dely for a couple of yrs. with a driver. I had worked in the trucking industry yrs ago, and knew how to figure your cost to operate (you really have to know how to do this!!!). I really dont like the long term prospects of making money with it, unless you get on a route for one customer, with good rates. You are basically trading equity in your vehicle for money up front. There usually is a lot of "politicking" that goes on also, as to whom the dispatchers give the best loads and if he likes you. Also, it is pretty difficult to find out exactly what a load pays, in order to figure your income on a certain load- they will try to baffle you with BS until the load is done and you see what you actually get.

I quit taking loads "over the road" (Florida, Brownsville, Ok city,New Orleans) because you would put many miles on truck, and tie it up for 2 or 3 days, and make no more than you could in city only putting 200 to 400 miles on truck in city. Of course they quit giving me the "sweet" loads in town.

I actually got into it to help a friend that needed a job, and yeah, I did make 400-500 a month after all expenses including driver, but.....not sure it was worth all the baggage.

If you want a formula to figure your "actual" operating cost give me a shout, and will work up a form for you. It cost me $0.33 a mile without driver pay to operate my vehicle, and that was 8 or 10 yrs ago.

I would say use it as a temporary "stopgap" til you find a real job, just to generate some income, but I dont think you want to make a career out of it. Good Luck!!

Later
R3F

·
Banned
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
400-500 a month?

Ya I was just gonna do it about 6 months but I really did not want to put a bunch of miles on this truck . It is pretty sweet, but after eating pbj for three years to support a business that went and died anyway I would like to have a life.And could use an income.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
My step-father drives hot shot for ACME Trucking. He started with a 1 ton then added a 48 ft flatbed. Then a year later he bought a single axle tractor with a sleeper and a 30 ft flat bed.

He has told me that if you live in an area where there are enough local hot shots, just a 1 ton is the way to go. But he got the larger truck with the sleeper so him and my mother can team drive long hauls to make some nice paydays.

·
Registered
403 Posts
my buddy just started hotshotting, i can't think of the company that he is working for but he seems to be making decent money, he's driving a 1 ton dodge dually.

Justin

·
Banned
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What's decent?

$Quanto dinero?$
I have a chance for a job 13$ /hr next week but if I could do better driving my truck then I would.I think I would like to start with the pallet loads then get a 40ft float and haul pipe then I could go chase flatties if I get my boat situation fixed.

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
I did HotShot for a few months about 7-8 years ago, and averaged around $120/day or so. Probably cleared around $80/day after expenses. If you are interested in learning more, send a PM to SowTrout here on TTMB. He owns one of the larger delivery services in Houston, and is a heckuva nice guy to boot!

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
400-500/mo?

Yeah, that is after all expenses and paying a driver. I really dont remember what I paid -I think it was about 1200 a month. Haha, forget about not putting too many miles on your truck! If you run only local, figure about 200-250 miles a day. That is about 50,000+ a year. Plan on a beat up bed of the truck, no matter how careful you are, scratches on the sides, spilt coffee and drinks in the cab, and a new tranny at about 120,000. You may get some loads that are nice neat boxes, but a lot will be heavy oilfield stuff, loaded with a forklift or overhead crane. Oh, yeah, the dispatcher will probably want you to pick up a few envelopes, and deliver them (courior service) "while I dont have a load for you right now" LOL That might pay $10 to $20 for an hours work and 30 or 40 miles on your vehicle. Dont forget to put a pillow in your truck for the dead periods when your waiting for a company to reopen after lunch to make a dely , or searching their plant for your "HOT" load that they cant seem to find or isn't ready yet. Dont forget rain gear. You will also find out what the map pocket on your truck if for--I probaly have 30 maps of all the little podunk cities in Tx and La.

I drove whenever my driver had to be off, and pay attention to weight. I once had a company put 8500# on my one ton while I was inside signing papers that said 2000# ( many loads pay by cwt). Rolled right through the first stop sign before I could stop. Had to get a weight ticket to get paid for the 8500, and went over the ship channel bridge in low gear. LOL Paid good though!

Know how to depreciate your truck. If it is new and worth 27000 now, you will basically "burn it out" in 3 yrs (150-180,000 miles). A 3 yr old dely truck with 150,000 is prolly worth 6000. That means you "used up" 21,000 of equity, or 7000 a year. This is a an actual cost you have to figure into your cost/mile, along with fuel, maintenance, oil changes (every 3-4 wks), washes, tires, vehicle insurance, cargo insurance, radio rental, etc. Oh yeah, and a couple of windshields too. LOL Your in trouble if you financed it for 6 yrs!!

Not trying to discourage you, but you wont come home nice and neat like an UPS man. Usually sweaty, dirty and tired. Or soaking wet from tarping and securing a load in the rain. If you run the road, you will also sleep in your truck or have added expense of hotel room or truck stop for a shower, not for sleep LOL. Hot shot service pay for hotel room? LM*O

Yes it was an experience, yes I made a little money, yes it was kinda fun, but would I do it full time? Give me the $13 an hour job!

Later
R3F

·
Banned
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
uh WoW

Ya I was kind looking for that $700 week range. Six months of solid income would help me. ' Course a real career change would really help more. Sold boats @ Superstore and Katy BPS. Built houses, sold several repair services and products.Kinda looking for something I can get into (read get out of the $ hole) Made over $100k last year and plowed everything into my business. I am looking to put that energy into Mon-Friday for someone else and go fishing on the weekend.Amen?

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Shadman is about right

Shadman is about right on what you can make with a pickup. Figure on grossing 100 to 120 and clearing about 50 to 70 bucks a day after fuel and maintence. But you are gonna put that 200+ miles a day on your vehicle and clearing 60 a day doesn't take into account the loss of value of the miles you put on your truck. It is gonna cost you about $.14/ mile in "lost value in your truck" ($7000 lost value/yr div by 50,000 miles/yr= $.14/mile) or .14 X 200 miles = $28/day.

With my 1 ton stakebed, (most in town loads paid about 60) I would gross about 180 (3-4 loads a day). My actual costs were $.33/mile PLUS driver pay. (Dont ask me why I still have that number in my head 10 yrs after the fact! LOL). Your pick up costs per mile are gonna be real close to that (.33/mile), taking into consideration the loss of value in your truck. .33 X 200miles/day = 66/day. That is why in my first response to you I said you were basically trading equity in your vehicle for cash up front. You gross $100/day minus the $66 = net pay of $34/day before taxes--aint worth it!!

Take the $13/hour, fish on weekends, and sell fish to your neighbors!! (Ducking! Just kidding!) You will come out ahead vs hot shotting!

Later
R3F

1 - 13 of 13 Posts