2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Reel Boy - Team Reel Blessed
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody hunting around Real & Uvalde counties having a rough hunt? We were at our lease for 9 days and only saw 2 whitetail, 4 aoudad and a dozen hogs between 5 hunters. Two of the hunters saw nothing at all.. I saw both of the whitetails, a 4 point and an 8 point that was not a shooter. I shot a 24" aoudad and pig and almost got a shot at a 30"+ aoudad. We are not seeing any deer, does or bucks. A few elk and aoudads are hitting the feeders and that is it. Not much on the trail cams either. We are only 3 miles from Garner State park off of FM 1050 and thought that area was loaded with all kinds of game..... I have never seen so many acorns, pecans and walnuts on a place and was just chalking up not seeing deer because of the abundant food, but we are not seeing anything good on the cams. We have springs all over this place and they have never dried up. Was there a big die off? It is frustrating to see my guys sit for hours and not see a hair of anything (18 hunts). This is our first year on the place, so not sure about previous years hunts.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Don't feel bad I hunt in Junction and the deer must have jumped a spaceship and left for the moon. We are seeing only does and small bucks and not many of them, the Axis have left as well.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
We have had the same. This is the toughest year we have seen on our lease in 20 years. The deer are still there but just not having to move much so I am hoping now that the rut is getting started we will see a little more.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Same thing on our place in Palo Pinto. We are getting night time pics of bucks and doe. The bucks are only there for a few minutes and they leave. The does stay a little longer. During the day they'll walk right by the feeders and don't stop for a second. Unless you're psychic - good luck on the trigger. Frustrating to say the least.

Spoke to the guy at my processor in Dallas and he said that he's hearing this a lot this season.

·
Highball !!!!
2,616 Posts
Anybody hunting around Real & Uvalde counties having a rough hunt? We were at our lease for 9 days and only saw 2 whitetail, 4 aoudad and a dozen hogs between 5 hunters. Two of the hunters saw nothing at all.. I saw both of the whitetails, a 4 point and an 8 point that was not a shooter. I shot a 24" aoudad and pig and almost got a shot at a 30"+ aoudad. We are not seeing any deer, does or bucks. A few elk and aoudads are hitting the feeders and that is it. Not much on the trail cams either. We are only 3 miles from Garner State park off of FM 1050 and thought that area was loaded with all kinds of game..... I have never seen so many acorns, pecans and walnuts on a place and was just chalking up not seeing deer because of the abundant food, but we are not seeing anything good on the cams. We have springs all over this place and they have never dried up. Was there a big die off? It is frustrating to see my guys sit for hours and not see a hair of anything (18 hunts). This is our first year on the place, so not sure about previous years hunts.
its not much better 2 1/2 miles to the west of you(2748)...the worst I've seen in the 5 1/2 years I've been there....now about that previous request to run one of those elk west...LOL...rio

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Same thing near Utopia..........I passed one shooter 8 and saw two more smaller 8 pointers, one 6 point, and one 4 point, along with a few does but this was all in a weeks time..........I did take a large axis, so all was not lost but we are not seeing the usual numbers of deer that we normally see..........

·
100% BS
7,120 Posts
Same thing on our Rio Frio place. It is very frustrating. The good news is there is supposed to be 4 days of freezing weather this week with rain. There is even a possiblity of snow in some parts of the hill country. This should bring those deer back to the feeders where they belong. We have only had one doe killed since the beginning of bow season and I was "lucky" enough to get her. If I would have had a rifle I could have plenty of venison by now but I strictly bow hunt(at least till the last week)(grin)

·
Unruly Member
2,620 Posts
I have 2 leases - one in San Saba one in Stevens County. Neither is producing deer like years past. Very few bucks have been seen, and very, very few does. Driving into San Saba last Thursday I couldn't help but notice the vast amount of green fields. I'm guessing that a majority of farmers have put in a winter crop this year because of all the rain. Rather than come to the feeders doe are hitting the surrounding fields. I'm also guessing that since food is so plentiful doe are doing this at night as the food is just so plentiful.

By my calculation it's going to remain like this throughout the season. I'm hopeful in that most of the doe I have seen earlier this year have 2 fawns ... as the saying goes, 'there's always next season.'

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
'It is frustrating to see my guys sit for hours and not see a hair of anything (18 hunts). This is our first year on the place, so not sure about previous years hunts. '

Exactly our situation, hate to have to judge the place over this kinda year. We are
between Hondo and Tarpley need some frost of freeze to get rid of the food they have available I guess.

·
Hardhead Master 1st Grade
170 Posts
Same for us, low low deer count. We hunt Richland Springs between San Saba/Brady. Only three deer shot so far, 1 cull buck and 2 does (shot by my wife). I see deer moving in the thickest brush during daylight hours and lots of sign around green fields. I believe same as ZenDaddy, feeding at night in the green lush spots.

C

·
Registered
126 Posts
Same in Fredericksburg I hunted 4 days for the holidays and saw 2 yearlings. There not coming to the feeders either but if you broadcast the corn it will be gone by morning leaving fresh droppings. It can't get any worse I told the other hunters.

·
Reel Boy - Team Reel Blessed
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
....now about that previous request to run one of those elk west...LOL...rio
I would gladly send them over :) I'm not going to shoot one this year. It is nice seeing the 6x7 & 7x8 walking around though...

I think we are being hurt by the amount of aoudad we have on the place too. It is not uncommon to see 7-10 at each feeder (on our trail cams) every day, but when we are hunting we might see one by its self long enough to get a shot at it. We see quite a few hogs, but even they seemed to have disappeared last week.

·
Mike
1,054 Posts
It's not just the western hill country. I hunt out of San Marcos, on the Blanco River and usually have tons of game. In a normal year I'll see at least a dozen deer each sitting. This year I've been skunked on multiple hunts. I've only seen one mature buck and he's a tall wide 6 pt.

The corn will sit on the ground all day but be gone in the morning. I've had deer at the feeder before sun-up but by the time it's light enough to see the deer have left.

Definitely a crazy year.

·
15,099 Posts
It's not just the western hill country. I hunt out of San Marcos, on the Blanco River and usually have tons of game. In a normal year I'll see at least a dozen deer each sitting. This year I've been skunked on multiple hunts. I've only seen one mature buck and he's a tall wide 6 pt.

The corn will sit on the ground all day but be gone in the morning. I've had deer at the feeder before sun-up but by the time it's light enough to see the deer have left.

Definitely a crazy year.
Our case exactly.........I didnt realize the acorn crop would last so long.

·
"Wizards begin as blacksmiths"
6,256 Posts
I'm having a tough hunt, for a place to hunt...

I feel sorry for all you folks who get to go out and spend time in the woods instead of hanging out at home watching tv and doing honey-do's. Must be really tough.

tongue firmly planted in cheek as I type this.

·
Gone Phishing
6,976 Posts
I'm having the same problem and I hunt in Fort Bend County on the San Bernard river. I talked to an adjacent land owner and he said they aren't seeing near the deer #s as years past. I have hunted 4 times this year and only seen a handful of deer. I have spooked quite a few in the woods going or coming from my stand but they are just not coming to my feeders in daylight hours. Hoping it gets better. If not, I may do more walk and stalk this year than stand hunting.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts