2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out fishing in west matagorda bay 2 weeks ago (After sitting thru the traffic at the locks) and didnt really catch any note worthy fish. After talking to people afterwards, they said it probably had a lot to do with the amount of rain we've had lately. They said that the salinity levels in the bay are extremely low right now and has run off the majority of the fish. I can verify that the water is a lot fresher than usual because the spray coming off the boat didnt have the salty taste as it usually does.

Is there any truth to this?

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
I have not seen freshwater chase off redfish or flounder (unless it is a lot of freshwater) but I know the trout will take off.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the reason im asking is because im contemplating going back out there this weekend since it appears that we are in for a lot of rain today and tomorrow. so i am trying to decided if its worth waiting through the locks again for the barge traffic just to go fishing

·
Salty Dawg
7,701 Posts
I would think that east bay would be a little better. The river drains into west bay.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Not to get away from your salinity question, but you can access West Bay fairly easy from Palacios without having to wait through any locks. The drive over to Palacios from Matagorda is probably faster and safer than your wait at the locks.
I fished West two weeks ago and there were definitely areas of the bay that the water was saltier than the other. However, we still caught fish in both places. The water may taste fresh up top, but there is still enough salt just below the surface to hold the fish.

Good luck.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys. Im considering the drive to palacios to put in... it just sucks to have to do when storage is in matagorda

1 - 9 of 9 Posts