2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is not fishing related, but it is to me - it gets me back to Texas! I have spent the last 10 year of my life as a insurance broker and am just burnt out! I now find myself in a pretty good position in life where my financial responsibilities will allow a career change. I have several friends who have gone back and gotten their teaching certificate and are really enjoying it. Some of the most respected people in may past are teachers and I have many fond memeroies of how they help shape my life. I have always considered teaching, but back in my younger days I was more driven by money.

Not to mention, they get summers off for FISHING!!!! Thanks for any input. Feel free to send me a PM or email if you do not want to post on here. I am interested in the horror stories just as much as the "feel good" stuff.

Andy

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
My father in-law is semi retired, and started to substitute teach recently. He is really enjoying it and they call him almost every day with a different assignment. I think it's great you can do something like that, because if it weren't for teachers where would any of us be today???
And by the way my oldest starts at Sam Houston in the fall to get her degree in education.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I just finished my 4th year of teaching/coaching at the high school level. I'm at one of the largest 5A schools in the area. I have lots of great stories and horror stories as well. I really enjoy teaching and coaching, but it takes a lot more time than most people think. Until you get the hang of it, you will spend a lot of time at home planning and grading. With experience it gets better! The best thing about the job is that every single day is different. I've been cussed at, threatened, flicked off, you name it! But, every once in a while you'll receive a card or a note thanking you for making such a great impact in someone's life. Being a coach, our principles like to give us the "BAD" classes. These are the classes that are full of kids taking the class over, "Repeat Classes." In my 1st period alone, there is six 18yr olds, one 19yr old, and one 20yr old. I should mention that I teach a freshman level course, so these students are obviously having troubles. I use to be the hard-nose teacher that wouldn't give an inch. If you’re tardy, you’re tardy. If you have a missing assignment, you get a zero, no matter what. Once you get to know your students and they open up to you, you'll find out how tough some of these kids really are. Just this year I had a girl who was missing just about every other class. When she did show up, I got on her case pretty good. Turns out she was having to stay at home and take care of her younger brother and sister because her mom was drunk all the time. This girl ended up passing my class and has to take a day of Saturday school this summer to earn credit, but she still passed. Then I have students that are parents themselves already. I can't imagine having a child at such a young age. But, a lot do, and most of them still come to school and graduate. These types of students are the ones that motivate teachers to do what they do. It’s not the perfect student, who earns 100's on every assignment. It’s the kids that have it tough and look to you for guidance that we always remember. I love my job and do not regret going into education. The money is not as bad as many think. I coach so I get an extra 10k put on top of my salary and I'm in a district that is probably the highest paid in the region. My contract is for 187 days, we get a week at thanksgiving, 2.5 weeks at xmas, a week for spring break and then the summer. You can teach summer school and earn an extra 4k in my district as well. My wife has taught one more year than I have, but together we earn over 100k already. I say go for it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts