2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Master of Ceremonies
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah it is kinda early but I thought I would check...

With my wife being deployed in Afghanistan during prime time (March-June 2010) I will have a clean schedule and thought I would see if there are any rec. storm chasers that want to hook up this spring. I am not a rookie so to speak and educated on the subject. I have a 07' 4x4 Explorer that is available if needed. I have a clean driving record and all the prerequisites.

If anyone is interested please reply or feel free to PM me.

Thanks.

-Tim

·
Screw it. Lets ride!
3,259 Posts
Have you seen this site? http://www.nws.noaa.gov/skywarn/

Took the class a 'few' years back as a firefighter. Lots of good info. Teaches you how to identify what you are actually looking at in a storm, kind of like how to read it.

I got caught in a real severe storm on 288 one day, and my truck looked like a golf ball afterwards. I dont think I want to intentionally go into one, but to each his/her own. Just be real carefull. Those guys on TV make it look easy. Post some video if you get some.

·
Master of Ceremonies
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am a spotter for WOAI here in San Antonio and you can see my weather updates on their live broadcasts each night (if they pick me). Not looking to get into some dangerous situations as it is only a recreational thing....although getting close would be great if it is safe. No, I am not a Reed Timmer by any means. Just looking at a lot of free time to roll out with a tank full of gas and terabites of pics and video to be burned. NOAA is my homepage....

·
Paddle solo, sleep tandem
3,601 Posts
Tim, I did it for a year while in school in Fayetteville, Ar. Some of the scariest storms I've ever seen happened in Oklahoma, Kansas and Missouri...its just a different breed of storm up there. I'd love to go, one heck of an adren rush!

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
I didn't have to chase them when I was stationed in Altus Okla. Just sit on the front porch and watch them.

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
i've been a student of the weather since i was a little kid, and i even took an elective at u.t. in meteorology from troy kimmel, the "dean of metorology in central texas," but i have no desire to chase storms in a vehicle. i'd rather be home when the skys get ominous.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
i've been a student of the weather since i was a little kid, and i even took an elective at u.t. in meteorology from troy kimmel, the "dean of metorology in central texas," but i have no desire to chase storms in a vehicle. i'd rather be home when the skys get ominous.
I have streamed KVET for years and always enjoy listening to Troy & his weather forecast, pretty much a straight shooter without the media hype BS

·
Master of Ceremonies
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL, I wouldn't consider the Horn in winter or any other time of the year. That had to leave some lasting impressions.

Speaking of north Texas/OK we were stationed near Wichita Falls for a few years and that place, although remote boring and free of any kind of entertainment whatsoever, produced some insane storms each spring/summer. I remember in 99' my buddy and I drove north into OK to the Wichita Mountains in southern OK. If you have been there then you know Scott Mountain. We were up there checking out the view while watching a super cell move into the area. It was pretty cool watching CG strikes produce ground fires all over the land below us.

·
Registered
4 Posts
how to detect work online from home scams

before signing up for any stay at home work online plan, check the history of the site. If the website require you to give them your bank acount number then you may need to think again. A rightful survey does not request for financial information.

·
Registered
4 Posts
how to detect work online from home scams

before signing up for any stay at home work online plan, check the history of the site. If the website require you to give them your bank acount number then you may need to think again. A rightful survey does not request for financial information.

·
Master of Ceremonies
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So anyway, yeah, headed to Dallas one time this fall but pretty much zero results other than hanging out with family there.

I am thinking of turning off instant email reply notifications on this thread for some reason LOL

·
Wherever you are....BLOOM!
5,760 Posts
My 1st year in military service was UT-Austin...completed 38 semester hours of meteorology. It was a full year...I enjoy watching weather.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts