2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
i was curious about this myself, i will be buying new this summer and my main focus on engine is the 200 SHO, i have also been curious about the TRP on it just want someone to do it first, my main concern is speed on the top end.

·
just livin man, L.I.V.I.N.
505 Posts
I wouldn't put it on a 200 though. I don't know the application but with the TRP you lose so much top end. It's only going to spin up so hard anyway....I'd save a few bucks and put it on the 150 and you' should come out in the wash money wise. When I was selling boats....maybe 8 months ago a TRP lower unit + props + hub kit was about $4800 bucks. you better keep your spare lower unit though...

·
Registered
277 Posts
they barely have the motor out on the market moreless wanting to try that stuff. there is no for a TRP unless you have a Majek RFL or Illusion. They are made for shallow water and not speed.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I Have asked the Same Yamaha feild tech rep as RED 2424 and Yamaha Techs, Who approve the warrantys , when we call factory warranty, about installing trps on different motors, the answers was all the same, no problem, motor has same factory waranty and trp lower unit has One Year, but with the new ventless props,Yamaha made for these engines, and low end power these engines has, it would lose top end speed, and not gain alot on hole shot. No I have not run one, have seen Videos, specs, and talked to the techs, teachers, field techs, who ran them the weekend before they came out while i was in Yamaha school. They said the hole shot and torque was awesome! The new prop going them lets them go into gear with out the clunk we hear on most motors, Going back to Yamaha School learn about them in a couple months!,

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Yes correct!!! Thanks, I got in contact, with a Yamaha Tech, they will only warranty the trp on the F150 4 stroke, vz150, zv175, and not void the warranty on the engine!
I would never take a engine that was in warranty and try something like changing anything on it with out contacting Yamaha first!!!

I think when some people actually run these engines with the proper Yamaha prop, they will see how strong these engines are out of the hole and top end, they will not even thing about trying to convert.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Trp on sho motor

Have trp lower unit on 250 sho motor works great on 21 foot flats cat. Lot better hole shot even jacked all the way up. Better water pressure. Top end no problem because boat won't run over 60 mph anyway with cat hull. Hope this will help.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've got a 250 SHO with TRP on a SCB RECON. I've spoken to my local Yamaha dealer and they said my warranty on my 2014 250 SHO is unaffected by the TRP, they did the 20 hr service, and that the TRP comes with a 1 year warranty. The hole shot is amazing and if I lost any top end it's maybe 1-2 mph. I did have some more cup added to the props though so that definitely helps. There seems to be a lot of misinformation in this thread.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
people are putting them on all the SHO's...

one of my buddies that I fish with a lot has a TRP on a 225 SHO on an illusion, and there is no comparison for holeshot. the TRP is the holeshot king.

no top end? lol... OK.

·
Write the check
245 Posts
Not a lot of loss of speed

TRP has a 1year,and yes, you can bolt it to a SHO. Attached is video of a 22 Extreme with a TRP running high 70's. Warranty questions, ask your dealer directly.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Seems to be a lot of advice given about this by people who don't know what they are talking about. They've been putting TRP's on every type of SHO since they came out. Hell SCB was even putting them on Merc's for a while. I've heard mixed information about warranty. So I would get that straight from Yamaha.

Just to be clear, when someone asks for advice, they are looking for information from someone who knows because they don't. Not a guess from someone else who doesn't as well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
TRP

I have a TRP mounted on a 225 SHO. 2010 year model. Been on there from day one. No problems. Love it. Mounted on a Majek Illusion. Was told by dealer that it does not effect motor warranty. I even got an extended warranty for motor. Don't know what boat you are putting it on, but talk to your dealer and test drive one with and one without. Made to go shallow.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts