2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3rd gen 4runner
Shifts fine but sometimes when I mash the clutch and put in first gear(clutch still down) it makes this whine spinning sound. But its only when you shift to a gear with the clutch still depressed.If I just mash the clutch without putting in gear it will not make a sound until I put in gear. I can pull it out of gear and still whines/spins until I let off the clutch. I can even hear/feel it when I'm driving and shift from gear to gear.Been getting worse,but its not constant. Been looking on internet and possibly the throwout or pilot bearing? It shifts fine and does not grind when I move gears so this got me scratching my head on if its something that will ruin my tranny. Had it a few months and supposedly its just had the clutch changed but who really knows

·
Registered
39 Posts
sounds like throwout bearing...although you normally hear it in neutral with the clutch out

·
archTech
8,554 Posts
From your description it does sound like the throwout bearing...maybe the clutch was replaced and not the bearing. You can probably take a quick peek through the boot where the clutch release fork enters the bell housing. Make sure the bearing is secured good on the fork and the carrier has a little lubrication on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts