2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new old house back in February (built in 1920) and I think the grass is at least that old. Yet it looks great in most areas. Except for one.

We thought that it would fill in once the growing season started, and it actually did for a while. But basically overnight.....well, you can see from the pics.

It is exactly the same "dead" spot that was there when we bought the place. I've attached a picture of the REST of the yard for reference.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
One of three, cinch bugs, grub worms, or root rot. I am sitting here looking out the study window at the same thing across the street in my neighbors yard. It just started showing this week.

·
What about my member?
1,679 Posts
Looks like Brown Patch Fungus to me. May not be the scietific name but I'd be willing to bet that is what it is.

Brian

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
That had happened in one area of our yard a couple of years ago near the sidewalk at the corner. Every once in awhile I would swear that I could smell gas to the point that I called the gas company out. But they, nor my hubby, seemed to smell the same thing that I would smell from time to time. Some times would be stronger than other times.

Needles to say this past year there was a project in our suvdivision replacing all of the sewer pipes. During this project one of the workers noticed the dead grass and they sampled the ground in that area and discoved that there was a small gas leak underground. (Go figure)

·
Banned
214 Posts
To find out if it is Chinch Bug...take a coffe can....cut the bottom out so you have it opened on both ends. Push it a half in deep or so close to the edge of the dead grass. Make a good seal to the ground and fill the can almost full with water. IF it is chinch bugs....they WILL come to the water surface. They are small...but you can see them easily. Don't use a lot of water pressure cause you will stir the dirt and such up. That is a proven and fast way to see if it is chinch bugs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
dont know what it is but go to the feed store and by a bag of corn meal. put it on the affected area. i heard this works wonders. and itss cheap. if not at the feed store go to the supermarket and use the food kind

·
Registered
55 Posts
Looks like brown patch fungus. It tends to radiate out in a circle the center will come back. One way to confirm if it is Brown Patch go the outer edge and pull on a blade of grass that is dying (yellow but may have a little bit of color). The blade should pull out easy & should be a water mark type stain on the blade. If that is the case it's brown patch. If you want futher confirmation you can take it to a quality nursery or Ag extension for tests.

If you have been fertilizing the grass you might want to back off the fungus likes the high ph with the fertilizer. Also water in the morning not the evening that the grass can dry during the day & rake out the dead thatch. If you get really mad at it you can use a copper based fungicide but don't let your kids or pets play in the yard.

·
@Drew_Smoke
4,158 Posts
Thast classic chinchie activity. Hullahopper has at least 5 houses on his block full of them that I saw today.

I wish I had a before & after pic of his place.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts