2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking at what the rain has done to my begonia's, out of 22 plants, I now have 6 living. I need help in deciding what to put in our front yard.

I want a flower that doesn't grow to high it will be the border. I would like it to come back every year, and can withstand the heat and rain. Our house is facing north, so I know that this can also be a problem.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
try mexican heather or aztec grass, the heather will die back each year but will come back and has a little purple or white flower. the purple ones are more readily available. the aztec grass is white and green and looks like liriope. it gives a good contrast to a lot of hedge type plants behind them

·
Registered
671 Posts
Marigolds are a nice bedding plant, as the flowers die you and pich off the seed sack and put them away in an envelope for planting next spring. Too Easy.

Also portulaca is a nice accent to a bed and comes in a variety of colors.

Gerbena daises work well too.

Good Luck

Marc

·
Registered
122 Posts
I use Vinca's or Periwinkles, (same thing). They take little to no maintenance, and come in colors of pink, red and white. Cheap to buy and Easy to plant, my wife and I really enjoy them

good luck
john

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
they usually will not come back the following year though and if we get a bunch of rain they are susceptible to fungus'.

jingvardsen said:
I use Vinca's or Periwinkles, (same thing). They take little to no maintenance, and come in colors of pink, red and white. Cheap to buy and Easy to plant, my wife and I really enjoy them

good luck
john

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
One other thing. If your front yard is really shady you can put caladiums or impatiens and get a huge variety of colors. They will die in the first freeze but almost always will come back the following year. They need to be in shade though with the exception of one type of caladium.

Sorry I cannot remember the name of the sun loving caladium

·
More There than here..Gone fishin....
3,926 Posts
Ive got a Mess of plants Id like to unload ..Ive got about 100 Pride of the Galopoogo's s/p?..Its a shrub/Low & Hummingbrigs Just love it...Lyrope..Monkee grass & a few others..Ive your close..I cut ya a killr deal..

Oxx..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts