2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey eveyone, Merry Christmas!

I am planning on taking some friends down to POC for New Years, of course they are newbies and was wondering if any of the bait places had any live shrimp or other bait? Whats been working lately, havent been down since October.

Any help be appreciated.

Thanks,

poc-ed

·
Registered
299 Posts
P.O.C. Bait

I've been launching at Clark's and the last couple times this past week they didn't even have any water in the bait tanks. I have'nt seen Boathouse Bait even open. I don't know anything about Froggies and the fishing center having any. Hard to come by this time of year. Wife fished the Rockport area over Christmas and they found some pretty bait at the harbor. I guess there is some around if your willing to go get it. Good luck!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Fishcrane, guess thats what I'll have to do. Gonna look up the number for Froggies and maybe Charlies further down too.

poc-ed

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Poc, when are you going down? My sister is going down tomorrow I think and she can let me know.

·
Certified Man Card Holder!
1,652 Posts
There hasn't been any bait in Port Lavaca either. Liquid Shrimp under a popping cork was working very well Sunday afternoon in Lavaca Bay before the north wind blew it out and turned it into chocolate milk. Gonna try Keller's Bay tomorrow afternoon with the incoming tide and hopefully find some bigger fish.

·
1,652 Posts
Poor Boy's in Port Lavaca is flying a white flag this afternoon but I don't know if they will have any this afternoon. Fixing to head out in the rain and cold to grind it out in Keller's Bay. Good I must be crazy!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PocBoy, we are going down on Thursday (31st). around noon. could u pm me or post here if she finds any bait? frozen or live?

Big Willy, did they have any bait in the afternoon? Like i said above, we are going down on thursday. could you please check again sometime today? maybe I can pick some up before getting into POC.

Thanks guys.

poc-ed

·
1,652 Posts
Poor Boy Bait

(361) 552-1504

400 E Live Oak St, Port Lavaca, TX 77979

Just called and they have some right now. I am going in the AM and can let you know if they have any tomorrow but your best bet is to call. They usually answer the phone and will tell you if they have any or not. Good luck, looks like the weather is going to be much nicer than the terrible junk I had for the last couple days!!!

Fished Lavaca and Cox's bay yesterday with winds from the north at 12-15 mph, rain for half the trip and the temperature started at 49 and went down from there! Caught about 8-9 small trout and 6 reds. All fish were undersize except for one red. All fish caught on pumpkinseed chartreuse tails fished slowwwwww off reefs near deep water. Had a good time catching up with a friend that I haven't fished with in a long time.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Big Willy you may have just saved our trip. Thankyou. I am giving them a call. Also, I will try the artis also. Have some gulp and the pump/chart. too. Do you rig them weedless or just on a jig head?
Reason for the need for bait is most are just green fishermen/women and they always feel more comfortable with bait.

Thanks again.

poc-ed

·
1,652 Posts
I understand the confidence in using live bait. I still have a hard time leaving the dock without shrimps or, God forbid, croakers but the past couple trips I have only used lures and dang it I had a blast.

If the water clears up try throwing pink glitter with chartreuse rigged on a normal jig head but fished under a cork. That is how I have my wife fish, and me when she starts to whoop my butt, so that she is more comfortable. Gve it about 2.5-3 feet under the cork and they can work it however they like. My wife was working it slow like a normal lure with twitches and pause and she was catching them like crazy!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Big Willy, I will give that a try too.

Bandman I am going by Froggies today, hope I can get some and keep them alive for a couple of days. Got the O2 ready for that.

Blk Jck, yep I got stocked up on Gulps, and if I need more I can always rely on Speedy Stop for extra!

Thanks for eveything guys, may you all have a great new year.

poc-ed

1 - 15 of 15 Posts