2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
the love of my life
9,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
question --what kicks out salt of ur body besides good old sweat--i heard that if u take high amounts of potassium that ---that will kick salt out of ur body--is this true-- or is this just bad medicine--and the high potassium hurt u--does anyone know--or is there any think else that will kick salt out of ur body:dance: ps this dancing guy is my favorite --it makes me smile:dance:

·
Cereal Killer
4,153 Posts
Why are you trying to remove salts from your body? Hypertension? Diet control/exercise is the best method. You likely get more than enough potassium in a regular first world diet. But potassium is linked to helping even out hypertension. If you cut down on dietary salts you may cut potassium as well. Multi-vitamin will help. I would chat with your PCP. Hypertension can be a very insidious condition

·
Registered
738 Posts
haparks said:
question --what kicks out salt of ur body besides good old sweat--i heard that if u take high amounts of potassium that ---that will kick salt out of ur body--is this true-- or is this just bad medicine--and the high potassium hurt u--does anyone know--or is there any think else that will kick salt out of ur body:dance: ps this dancing guy is my favorite --it makes me smile:dance:
First off too much potassium will kill you via stopping your heart. Second, salt as in NaCl ? or salt as in a mixture of minerals? If NaCl just drink a lot of water, you kidneys will do the rest. In fact this method will work for all mixtures of salts sweating works as well. But good hydration is the best method.

·
the love of my life
9,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yep

yep im on the old meds fer high blood preasure

yakfisher said:
Why are you trying to remove salts from your body? Hypertension? Diet control/exercise is the best method. You likely get more than enough potassium in a regular first world diet. But potassium is linked to helping even out hypertension. If you cut down on dietary salts you may cut potassium as well. Multi-vitamin will help. I would chat with your PCP. Hypertension can be a very insidious condition

·
the love of my life
9,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow

wow:eek: i knew water was good but i had no idea it would flush salt--and i do know i do not drink enough water-- i drink way to many diet sodas--may fav is diet green tea

Piledriver said:
First off too much potassium will kill you via stopping your heart. Second, salt as in NaCl ? or salt as in a mixture of minerals? If NaCl just drink a lot of water, you kidneys will do the rest. In fact this method will work for all mixtures of salts sweating works as well. But good hydration is the best method.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Try sleeping with a hard sofa throw pillow directly under your knees...Drink more water....Eat a banana or two every day. All of these suggestions solved my middle of the night screaming locking up leg cramps...

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
i'm assuming you are asking this question as a result of a hypertension issue. this is a complex subject, but i'll give it a try.

it is false that high amounts of potassium will "kick out" high amounts of ingested sodium from your body. however, potassium does seem to play a role in blunting the effects of sodium as it relates to hypertension.

your body requires a certain daily amount of ingested sodium and potassium for proper cell function, and normally, most of the excess sodium you consume is excreted in the urine, not through sweating. but, consuming excessively large amounts of sodium or potassium can be very dangerous, or even fatal. and, the average american consumes way too much sodium almost every single day of his or her life.

sodium's function in the body is to regulate the total volume of water in the body, and to regulate the movement of water in and out of cells. people underestimate the value and importance of proper sodium and potassium levels in the body. without either of them, life as we know it would be impossible.

sodium is an ion that attracts water. therefore, a diet too rich in sodium chloride (table salt) causes the body to retain more water than it should, and that excessive water creates an over-abundance of water in the bloodstream, and it is that excessive amount of water in the bloodstream that is a big factor in hypertension.

the bloodstream is a closed fluid system. if you pump x amount of fluid through that closed system, you will have a fluid pressure of y. if you increase the amount of fluid in that closed system, you will obviously have a direct and corresponding rise in the pressure in that system. increase the fluid volume in a closed system and pressure will always rise accordingly.

the best way to control blood pressure as it relates to the ions is through eating a proper diet, not through drugs or supplements. become aware of the sodium content in your diet, especially in that of the processed foods you eat. 2400mg is the recommended daily allowance of sodium, but often times one can of campbell's soup or one salisbury steak frozen dinner can contain half or more of your recommended daily allowance of salt. read those labels! also, eat a diet high in potassium, which is primarily your fruits and vegetables - especially the green, leafy vegetables - and nuts are also very rich in potassium (unsalted ones, of course).

haparks said:
ps--i have been getting cramps --at night-- in my legs --so i was guessing my potasium was low-- so how much potassium is ok to take--
you shouldn't be "taking" any potassium at all. you need to eat foods rich in potassium. i'm guessing that you are probably an excellent candidate for a major diet overall, haparks. :smile:

·
Tiny is Gone... Hi, My Name is ROGER
5,886 Posts
I always ingest more salt when I get cramps.. they gave us salt pills in High School for cramps while playing football... you may already have your NaCl down...

And yes.. water water water...

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
tinyrogerd01 said:
I always ingest more salt when I get cramps..
which is just the opposite of what you should do. if you are having problems with cramps, you need to increase the amount of potassium, calcium and magnesium in your diet, not sodium.

trust me, you're getting plenty of sodium in your diet.

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Sodium does NOT cause hypertension. It can elevate blood pressure in those who are sodium sensative though. Ive been on BP meds for 20 years and no matter how much salt I use, it has no effect on my BP. Weird thing with me is, when I got my last bloodwork done my sodium level was low and the Dr told me to use more salt. You ever hear of such a thing?

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
you're right, sodium alone does not cause hypertension. but, excessive amounts of dietary sodium is definately one of the major factors in the cause and exascerbation of hypertension in most americans.

the proper balance of sodium in the body is a very important but delicate thing.

as far as your low blood sodium goes, gary, what blood pressure meds are you taking?

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
mastercylinder said:
you're right, sodium alone does not cause hypertension. but, excessive amounts of dietary sodium is definately one of the major factors in the cause and exascerbation of hypertension in most americans.

the proper balance of sodium in the body is a very important but delicate thing.

as far as your low blood sodium goes, gary, what blood pressure meds are you taking?
Lisonoprill <sp> 20-25

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
Gary said:
Lisonoprill <sp> 20-25
by the 20-25, i'm assuming you mean 20mg of lisinopril and 25mg of hydrochlorothiazide, which is a combination product. lisinopril is an ace inhibitor and hydrochlorothiazide is a diuretic.

diuretics work by making the body excrete water through the kidneys to help combat the negative hypertensive effects of excessive water in the bloodstream. and, as i mentioned above, excessive water in the bloodstream translates to higher blood pressure, so, if you eliminate the excessive fluid in your body, you will lower the blood pressure.

unfortunately, one of the problems with increased fluid excretion as a result of taking diuretics is the increase in electrolyte loss as well. (potassium, sodium, etc). since electrolytes like potassium and sodium are excreted in the urine, the more you pee, the more you lose electrolytes and you have to replace them.

like i said, the electrolyte balance in the body is a very important but delicate process.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Your leg cramps MAY have NOTHING to do with salt, potassium or HBP. I had the same problems 2 years ago (age 62 at that time) and mentioned it to my doctor during a BP check. He asked to see my shoes! He told me to get a sole insert that has more arch support for my feet. He explained that the cramps was coming from "pronation"(not sure if spelled right) and the fact that I'm getting older so my arches need more support.

I thought that sounded a bit far fetched but he's the Doc. So I went to Wal-Mart and bought some shoe inserts. Haven't had leg cramps at night since! Guess he knew what he was talking about!

Try it. Cheaper than pills and less toxic.

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
mastercylinder said:
by the 20-25, i'm assuming you mean 20mg of lisinopril and 25mg of hydrochlorothiazide, which is a combination product. lisinopril is an ace inhibitor and hydrochlorothiazide is a diuretic.

diuretics work by making the body excrete water through the kidneys to help combat the negative hypertensive effects of excessive water in the bloodstream. and, as i mentioned above, excessive water in the bloodstream translates to higher blood pressure, so, if you eliminate the excessive fluid in your body, you will lower the blood pressure.

unfortunately, one of the problems with increased fluid excretion as a result of taking diuretics is the increase in electrolyte loss as well. (potassium, sodium, etc). since electrolytes like potassium and sodium are excreted in the urine, the more you pee, the more you lose electrolytes and you have to replace them.

like i said, the electrolyte balance in the body is a very important but delicate process.
Bingo! Another thing people need to know, if your taking meds with diuretics, do NOT use a salt substitute. What is it? Potassium Chloride? Thats a no no!

BTW, jalapenoes are loaded with potasium. More than bananas.

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
Gary said:
Bingo! Another thing people need to know, if your taking meds with diuretics, do NOT use a salt substitute. What is it? Potassium Chloride? Thats a no no!
i definately agree. if excessive sodium chloride in your diet is a problem, using salt substitute (potassium chloride), or "lite salt" as it's sometimes called, is not the answer. i don't recommend it.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Gary said:

BTW, jalapenoes are loaded with potasium. More than bananas.
Absolutely. Check your diet haparks and do some research on what foods are high in what. You will be amazed.

·
the love of my life
9,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i get to much salt im sure-- in turn i retain to much water-- therfore i have high blood pressure-- i hate bananas --but love all other veggies and greens --im goona try a small amount of potassium from the health food store --if u think thats ok--i dont think i get enough potassium--also im gonna drink more water--and try to ingest less salt--thanks every one

1 - 20 of 35 Posts