2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
AKA MUNGAM WORC
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any expierience whitetail hunting in Kansas?I have been saying to myself for years I am going to go to the "HAPPY HUNTING GROUNDS" in Kansas,but I have the chance to do it this year.I have checked w/ 2 leads on a lease but 1 was 4000 ac made up of small farms,and the other was only 700 ac.Some tell me permits are a 70% chance for out of stater's and others say No Problem.I would like to find a Prime lease, but it might be wiser just to hire an outfitter.Also, what region of Kansas is considerd "PRIME"?Any advise?

·
Registered
45 Posts
you will love kansas my sister lives there and i have hunted there alot drawing tags no problem big deer not a problem northeast is prime i have a nice 156 3/4 B&C ON THE WALL from there and its only a 8 point dont mess with a lease get a outfitter they also have public hunting as well that is never hunted and is great my deer came from a friends farm you want something to brag about kill one from there good luck

·
AKA MUNGAM WORC
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about the southern 1/3rd of the state?

T&T,thanks for the reply.I live in DFW area and I would like to find a hunt/lease in the southern part of the state.I don't want to drive more than 8 hours if possible.What is the prospects for trophy's along the southern, say 1/3 rd of the state?Also what would be your choice in the lower 1/3rd S. West S.Central or S. East?I know they have Mulies in the western parts.Can you hunt both, W.T and Mulies @ the same time?

·
15,099 Posts
Also Crow
He mentioned public land thats not hunted .
I called Kansas fish and game a couple of yrs ago and got a booklet that had all the public land in it.
It was alot and showed where it was all at.
I hear its wide open spaces and plenty of room. I've just never had the time to go up there and research iit.
With the price of whitetaiil hunting maybe thats the way to go.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I have a tentative trip planned with a buddy of mine who has some package hunts available in Kansas. He has been a couple of times to this place as a trade out deal with the outfitter and has had good success. He brings hunters from Kansas down here for hog hunts and south texas deer and my buddy takes a group or two to Kansas. A win - win situation! PM me if interested and I will get the details for you ASAP!

·
Headhunter...Fishhunter.. .Deerhunter...
1,586 Posts
My parents just bought a ranch in Kansas 2 years ago. It is about 60 miles from KC. Only a few hundered acres. Though I have seen a lot of deer I can kill, never seen anything I wanted to kill. Nothing spectaculor yet, but then again we maybe too close to the big city. Nothing great on the Game Cams yet either, but I do have faith that something nice will show up. The bad thing is that rifle season is 1 week long. I am not much of a bow hunter when it is 17 degrees.

That being said, I really busted up some Canadian Geese this year, and also have had great Dove hunting success there. (Dove are much fatter there, and not many people hunt them)

Good Luck!

·
www.centexpressurewashing .com
1,447 Posts
We used to Pheasant hunt western Kansas. We would always see Mulies and some nice ones too. We inquired about deer hunting thru KDWP. It seems a little confusing. Where we scouted had loads of Mulies, didnt see one whitetail. I might be wrong, but I cant find anything other than whitetail deer hunting. It does mention mule deer are only in the western counties. The licencing seems vague on whether you can shoot a mulie or not.
Anyone have any other info?

Mike T

·
15,099 Posts
CentexPW said:
We used to Pheasant hunt western Kansas. We would always see Mulies and some nice ones too. We inquired about deer hunting thru KDWP. It seems a little confusing. Where we scouted had loads of Mulies, didnt see one whitetail. I might be wrong, but I cant find anything other than whitetail deer hunting. It does mention mule deer are only in the western counties. The licencing seems vague on whether you can shoot a mulie or not.
Anyone have any other info?

Mike T
I know for a fact you can shoot mulies in kansas but I dont know which counties.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I grew up in SW Kansas and at the time you didn't hear about much deer hunting. But the last 2 years my buddy has taken 2 nice 8 point bucks on public land in SW/South Central KS. I'm pretty sure it was around the Minneola area. I would suggest getting a copy of the public hunting lands and taking it from there.

Dutch

·
Registered
364 Posts
I lived in Dallas a few years ago. And bow hunted SE Kanas, it is about a 7.5 hour drive.
I hunted a small farm close to the Mined Wildlife Refugue (I think thats the name). I also talked to some other guys that bow hunted in there and they did well over the years with
taking some P&Y bucks. Getting bow hunting tags was not a problem for me, I dont know about a gun tag?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a friend that has hunted Kansas for a few years now and has 2 nice bucks and one 160class ten point. His deal was through a friend of a friend and it seems like the deer are just a nuisance to the farmers up there and they dont mind you hunting. He hasnt paid a dime.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts