2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,162 Posts
I'd think it is a space saver/cosmetic issue as well but being in the attic does it help deliver hot water faster up high? It definitely is a huge accident waiting to happen being up in the attic over the middle of your house... dang, I'm scared to think of what would happen if the two I have in the attic burst.. yikes.

If I ever build a house on my own from scratch, I'll probably go with on-demand hot water heaters..

·
non-politically correct
7,301 Posts
On-demand would be nice but a bit pricey for the average homeowner I would think. Worth the money if you plan to stay long term though.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've had both the on demand and the tank.

I prefer a tandem tank system. Two tanks in series. You will almost never run out of hot water. Put a timer controlled recirculating system in and it's perfect.

In the attic is ok, as long as you have the catch pans underneath. Even better if you have "waterbugs" tied into your security system to let you know if it starts leaking.

Problem with the on demand is they use a tremendous amount of energy, they are slow to get the hot water to you, and the water is just not that hot. Quite expensive also.

My .02. Been building houses for 15 years, and I've done it most every way imaginable.

·
WHO DAT!!
3,242 Posts
I looked at installing a tankless heater when mine went south a few weeks ago.

Four things swayed my decision to a standard storage tank heater.

1. Needed 120V power at the heater for the controls
2. Would have to upgrade to a larger exhaust vent
3. Would have to upgrade for 3/4" diameter gas line service
4. That thing wasn't cheap.

The 40 gallon Energy Star water heater I bought works just fine for $400.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Another thought, if you are looking to upgrade to a tankless and you don't have gas, forget it. An electric tankless retro is very expensive due to the need to install additional 50 amp circuits. An electric tankless can take 2-3 50 amp circuits.

If you do have gas, see Gitchesum's post. A 3/4" gas line is required along with the other stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts