2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Shallow Sport Skimmer
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 150 Johnson Oceanrunner and the last couple of time I went out there wasn't much wind so I really notice how much it smokesSSSS when starting up. The guys putting after me could not hardly stand it. I know this motors smoke but it just seems like mine is a little bit much. Has or does anyone else have this problem with these motors? If so what to do? Let me also mention that I do premix the oil and gas 25:1 and I also put new plugs and checked the gap. Any suggestions of comments.

Thanks N Advance

·
All work n no play
2,384 Posts
Sounds like a carbon build up or maybe you oil is separating from your Gas? How long has it been since you filled it up? Did it sit for a while? I had the same problem with mine and I changed the plugs and ran it hard for a few days, then checked the plugs again. I still have the VRO on mine. Great motor just a little thirsty. I am no mechanic, but if you search on carbon here I think there is some threads on it. Does it run well? Almost sounds like a carb problem?

·
Tynker
291 Posts
mix wrong.

I have a 1998 150 Johnson Oceanrunner and the last couple of time I went out there wasn't much wind so I really notice how much it smokesSSSS when starting up. The guys putting after me could not hardly stand it. I know this motors smoke but it just seems like mine is a little bit much. Has or does anyone else have this problem with these motors? If so what to do? Let me also mention that I do premix the oil and gas 25:1 and I also put new plugs and checked the gap. Any suggestions of comments.

Thanks N Advance
Your problem is your mix 25:1.....It should be 50:1 try this for a tank,and give it time to clean out.That is 1 pint to 6 gallons gas.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I agree the mix you are using (25:1) is for when you are trying to break in a new powerhead. Go to 50:1 or even 40:1 and replace the spark plugs, as I'm sure your current ones are probably fowled by now on the 25:1 ratio.

JR

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
2nd on the 25:1.... thats way too stiff.... your wallet has to be hurting a bit too on all the oil... bump down to 50:1 and your problems will be a thing of the past... youll prolly gain a few MPGs also...

·
Shallow Sport Skimmer
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will try changing the oil/gas mix to 50:1 and see if that that fixes the problem. Thanks for you help 2 Coolers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts