2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
26,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given some stuff for helping my neighbor clean out his Mom's garage when she died. He gave me two gallons of Prestone 50/50 that had never been opened. Someone wrote the purchase date on the outside of the jug which was in April 2006. Is it still good to use after sitting around for almost 4 years?

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
best guess................yes unless it has separated, then you should only have to shake it up real well

it should be basically propylene glycol and that is pretty stable I would think

·
I'm a millionaire in a .02 opinion world
2,569 Posts
I would think it should be fine. Check the spec gravity with one of those suction doodads. Then haul your self down to the liquor store and pick up some hooch for this week. I intend to go by there myself this evening in preparation for the game and the weekend. BWHAHAHAHA. B&P

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
Is it still good to use after sitting around for almost 4 years?
it is definately still good. the chemical composition of anti-freeze will not change unless it is exposed to extreme conditions, and extreme conditions, at least as far as anti-freeze is concerned, do not exist in the original bottle stored in a garage. unopened and unused and unexposed to the environment or extreme conditions, it would probably be good for 50 years, if not more.

the more important question before using is if it is the right anti-freeze for your vehicle.

·
Bull Frog hunter
9,276 Posts
it is definately still good. the chemical composition of anti-freeze will not change unless it is exposed to extreme conditions, and extreme conditions do not exist in the original bottle stored in a garage.

the more important question before using is if it is the right anti-freeze for your vehicle.
Indeed. Many different fluids these days. all cars/trucks of different years use different fluids. Be sure its the right one! If ya don't know, look on the radiator cap or owners manual. The parts house might be of a little help as well.

·
Registered
359 Posts
MC is dead on.....think about all the people running around with 6 yr old or more truck and have never changed it! (not that that is a good idea)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts