2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of purchasing a small rifle for my 7 year old, something with a overall length of around 30 inches. The rifle will be used for learning gun safety and plinking. I was planning on getting a 22 cal. until I come across a 17 hmr which is an interesting round. Any thoughts on the 17 hmr? Which rifle do you reccomend? Thanks

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
There was a long thread on the 17, not too long ago, lots of discussion, use the search function, or you can go Google search 17hmr; there's a lot of info on the rifle, ballistics etc.. the downfall is the wind, wind will knock your travel off, good little gun.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
For your purposes, I would go with a .22. Ammo price is my reasoning. I have a 17 HMR, and love it, but the ammo is still a little expensive.

·
Unruly Member
2,620 Posts
The .22 still rules for a 'plinking' gun. Ammo is cheap, available everywhere, and in many different loads. I'd recommend a single shot break open. Bought my son a little Cricket .22. Fits in his hands perfect. Available at Academy for roughly $100.00

·
Certified Animal Chiropractor
7,652 Posts
Hey TC, when my Daughter was 7 I bought her a .223 at Wal-Mart..The rifle is made by New England Firearms.. Its a single shot, heavy barrelled, youth model rifle. It sells for about $185..Since then she has killed several deer and hogs with it without any mis-hap...G luck Walker

·
I'll keep my gun...You keep the change
10,507 Posts
They sell a great starter gun at Academy made by Rossi...it is a 22/.410 combo for $119
it very small and will fit him just fine....it comes with a break over style, hammer operated and is that way with either barrel...Great first gun

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
23,559 Posts
.22 bolt action would be best as you want to keep those little 7 year old fingers off of hammers and automatics and pumps are not quite what that age child needs.

Like was said above, .22's rule for plinking and are plenty cheap.

TH

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
I agree with the ammo cost. I love my .17 - it's flat shooting and devastating on small game but kids want to shoot a lot (and should) so it's hard to beat a .22 for plinking.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I think with a .22, ammo is as inexpensive as it gets, and is found in even the smallest stores in the most remote area in the state. Kids, once they catch the shooting bug are going to want to shoot as much and as often as parents allow, at least I know I did. As far as choice of firearm, I'd say single shot, either bolt gun or break open, but the bolt gun will prepare them for their future rifles, and working the action will be like second nature to them.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for your input. I bought a 22 cal. chipmunk rifle from a member here on 2 cool, Thanks Jimmy. I will suprise my son with it next weekend at our lease. I guarantee you he will have a grin on his face from ear to ear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts