2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have now found the marine grade plywood....Thanks to you guys..........but was wondering what type wood to use for the runners or supports.......I'm not talking about the main runners that are connected to the bottom of the boat but the support braces that are just helping support the floor? Do I just use treated 2x4's or is the marine grade 2x4's?

Thanks for all ya'lls help
Brian

·
Back in da Saddle
10,160 Posts
Find you some douglas fir ... do not use treated if your going to coat in epoxy...

John

·
POC chunker
9,207 Posts
Fir is good, so is Cypress. If you give it a couple of coats of penetrating epoxy before you install it, you've pretty much have rot proof wood better than any kind of treated lumber. If you are going to glue it with epoxy, or glass over it, you need to first wash off the amine blush you get when epoxy cures. It is like a wax that coats the surface. Plain old Dawn dish soap and lots of fresh water is the best thing to wash it off with.

·
Getting shallower means chewing mud
1,643 Posts
Good advise above, fir is cheap and good when combined with epoxy. Mix fine sawdust or wood flour with epoxy to make your glue. If you use the correct epoxy you won't get the blush that PF described above.

Not sure if I posted this link in your previous post or not, but go here for a lot of good reading and helpful advise.
http://forums.bateau2.com/viewforum.php?f=10

Post some pictures for us to see.
Tim

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Floor repair

Here are some pics of work in progress.......Will post more when I have time to even work on boat.....These are pic before I cut out bad parts of floor and after all old wood was cut out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts