2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Microskiff Mafia
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy and I went to our tank outside of College Station yesterday morning to see if we could get any ducks that came in with this front. Well we set up and were sitting under some trees at around 6:15 when we heard the familiar sound of wings whistling in on us. I look up to see a group of around 8 gadwall dropping the landing gear and coming in for landing. Well it was barely light outside and was about 5-10 minutes before shooting time, so we let them come in and land. They dabbled around to the far side of the pond where there was a bunch of duck weed. So for I can't tell you how long my buddy and I just sat and enjoyed the company of these ducks just chatting back and forth with em. I honestliy probably could of just sat there all morning watching and listening to those ducks. But this was interrupted when two more ducks came barreling in and landed in our spread. By now it was well past shooting time so we decided we'd sneak out onto the dam and take our shots. So we snuck out and yelled and watched the ducks come up off the pond. They all had moved to the other side of the pond which was a solid 50-60 yards away but I was able to put a bead on one and dropped him with my first shot. Later inspection would confirm it was a headshot. By the time I could pick another out they were out of range so we let em fly. After sitting for awhile we had another group of 3 gadwall come in so I let my friend do the shooting and he got one. After he shot i started calling once again and was able to get one of the drakes to turn back and make another low pass on the pond and I got him. He was one of the most mature drakes I'd ever seen. I was using that goofy looking gadwall call made by duck commander and it seemed to really work. Anyways after that we didn't see much so we decided to pack in around 8:45 so we could get back for class. All in all it was a beautiful morning and it was fun getting to shoot some ducks. Wish we woulda seen more but I think thats just how it goes on little farm tanks like that one. Good luck to everyone. Hope I can get out one more time before the split.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
justinsfa, yeah my buddy went 'gear crazy' last year and bought a call for dang near every duck we see in our areas. He got the DC gadwall call. I've never heard him use it. I just use the ol mallard hen thats what the hens sound alot like anyway

·
Registered
960 Posts
Haydel's has had a gedwall call for at least 10 yrs you just have to order it. I think the duck commander call sounds a little better though.

·
Microskiff Mafia
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DC Gadwall call

justinsfa they do make a gadwall call and the dc one sounds almost identical to the tat of a gadwall drake. When they were sitting on the pond i was using it and I can honestly say that it sounded exactly like the drakes sitting on the pond. I think I got mine for around $12 at academy they are extremely goofy looking

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Ive always used a mallard hen call... instead of blowing from your gut, dont put any backbone into it and it sounds just like a gadwall.... move your hands around and it sounds like a whole flock.

I dont like a bunch of calls hanging around me neck... one mallard and one whistle....

Now, I hunt with a few people that carry the entire spectrum of birds in the Animal Kingdom around their neck.... Wood duck call, teal call, Snow, Speck and Canada calls, mallard drake, pintail whistle.... and one of those sex toy mallard chuckle jobs... haha

·
Registered
79 Posts
A buddy and I went to our tank outside of College Station yesterday morning to see if we could get any ducks that came in with this front. Well we set up and were sitting under some trees at around 6:15 when we heard the familiar sound of wings whistling in on us. I look up to see a group of around 8 gadwall dropping the landing gear and coming in for landing. Well it was barely light outside and was about 5-10 minutes before shooting time, so we let them come in and land. They dabbled around to the far side of the pond where there was a bunch of duck weed. So for I can't tell you how long my buddy and I just sat and enjoyed the company of these ducks just chatting back and forth with em. I honestliy probably could of just sat there all morning watching and listening to those ducks. But this was interrupted when two more ducks came barreling in and landed in our spread. By now it was well past shooting time so we decided we'd sneak out onto the dam and take our shots. So we snuck out and yelled and watched the ducks come up off the pond. They all had moved to the other side of the pond which was a solid 50-60 yards away but I was able to put a bead on one and dropped him with my first shot. Later inspection would confirm it was a headshot. By the time I could pick another out they were out of range so we let em fly. After sitting for awhile we had another group of 3 gadwall come in so I let my friend do the shooting and he got one. After he shot i started calling once again and was able to get one of the drakes to turn back and make another low pass on the pond and I got him. He was one of the most mature drakes I'd ever seen. I was using that goofy looking gadwall call made by duck commander and it seemed to really work. Anyways after that we didn't see much so we decided to pack in around 8:45 so we could get back for class. All in all it was a beautiful morning and it was fun getting to shoot some ducks. Wish we woulda seen more but I think thats just how it goes on little farm tanks like that one. Good luck to everyone. Hope I can get out one more time before the split.
You are a "mature" hunter for your age. I appreciate your enjoyment of the outdoors and the game that you hunt. Best of luck and enjoy the great outdoors. gig'em

1 - 8 of 8 Posts