2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are the dashboard camera's used to document an offense (such as not using a turn signal)? if so, how are the images stored and what is the normal length of retention for the video and is the video subject to the provisions of the open-records laws?

i was given a ticket for failure to use a turn signal on saturday and really am not sure if i used my turn signal or not, although i normally do...

thanks,

rbt2

·
Republic. I like the sound of the word.
142 Posts
The camera's come on when the emergency lights go on, unless the officer turned the camera on before that to capture the offense, but I would say that the offense is prbably not on video. the whole camera thing is for racial profiling and captures the treatment of the subjects stopped.... but thats a whole different can of worms!

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Probably does not have it on film...

Cameras are usually activated when overheads are turned on, and the time for keeping the tapes varies from agency to agency (or at least it used to)

·
Concrete Contractor
12,402 Posts
The camera systems they have now are supposed to record like 30 seconds prior to turning the lights on. Dont know if all PD's have them now tho.

·
Banned
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is there anyway to "beat" that ticket? asking for proof? won't it just be his word vs. my word? he did use offensive language around my wife which i didn't care for... (and before y'all ask, i did not use offensive lanugage with him). in fact, the lovely mrs. rbt2 said that she was proud of me for NOT loosing my temper...

thanks for the input!

rbt2

·
Registered
634 Posts
[
i was given a ticket for failure to use a turn signal on saturday and really am not sure if i used my turn signal or not, although i normally do...

The cop that stopped you must be a terd!

·
Banned
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
he really did have a cocky attitude. i understand that most are overworked and underpaid (but they did sign up for the job though...), like i said, he did use offensive language while my wife was in the truck, which i did not address with him, had my boys been in there with us (the oldest is 4 1/2) i would have addressed his language with him. i just really think it was a "trumped-up" thing and to be totally honest, i'm not sure if i used the turn signal or not. i am just wanting to know if it would be worth my time to take the ticket to court (including his language) and fight it, or just let it go, take defensive driving and have it over and done with.

btw - it was in the city of montgomery.

rbt2

·
Concrete Contractor
12,402 Posts
those must be some smart cameras if they know your going to turn the lights on in 30 seconds.........
Call em smart then cause thats what they do. They are always recording and when you hit the camera or lights it starts 30 seconds prior. I pick up alot from the popo's!

·
Custom User Title space for rent
5,217 Posts
You are entitled to a copy of the video as it is public information. File a public information request and request the entire video for the work shift on that date asap. Be sure & reference the citation number & that the video is wanted in defense of the citation. Send a copy of the request to the PD & the court. You should get a call offering to move the citation to a non moving violation to prevent the release of the video. Turn it down. Only settle for full dismissal in return of not getting the video. Many PDs do not like these activities released due to the PR nightmare that often follows if there is bad stuff on the video.

·
RIDE RED,HONDA!
10,218 Posts
he really did have a cocky attitude. i understand that most are overworked and underpaid (but they did sign up for the job though...), like i said, he did use offensive language while my wife was in the truck, which i did not address with him, had my boys been in there with us (the oldest is 4 1/2) i would have addressed his language with him. i just really think it was a "trumped-up" thing and to be totally honest, i'm not sure if i used the turn signal or not. i am just wanting to know if it would be worth my time to take the ticket to court (including his language) and fight it, or just let it go, take defensive driving and have it over and done with.

rbt2
just pay it and be done. went through the same thing about 8 months ago and THEY will win.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts

rbt2
The video thing depends on what system they are using. Some agencies have moved to the all digital platform where your videos are stored on an in car hard drive and they automatically download to a master storage server once you drive into the PD. After a set time, they are then burned to CD/DVD and are cataloged indefinately. This is how my agency does it. When you hear about the continus looping video that records all the time and goes back 10, 20, 30 seconds or whatever from the time the camera is activated, it is typically only available with the above described digital system. If the agency is still running the old style VHS recorders, there will be nothing recorded prior to the recorder being activated. I would request the video, see whats on it, pay the ticket if your guilty or fight it if you truely believe you are innocent. I don't believe in trying to beat tickets that you know you are guilt of, I have been issued citations and I have paid my fines and I have no problem with it. I have always known that I was guilty though so only you can make that decision for yourself.

About the language, there is NO excuse for it. If the language was captured on video and it was inappropriate, I would go to the PD and file a formal complaint on the officer. I absolutely hate being complained on, but there is no excuse for unprofessional conduct, especially during something as minor as a simple traffic stop, and it needs to be brought to the officer's supervisor's attention. Using foul language with the public for no reason is a very valid complaint in my opinion. Good luck with everything.

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
Go to court and ask for deferred and pay court cost and the fine and the record of your ticket goes away. Or call the court clerk on the phone and they mite do it over the phone and save you a trip.

Charlie

·
Professional Salesman
9,757 Posts
You could try to get a picture of a Montgomery LEO not using his turn signal.
City of Montgomery is the worst speed trap aound Houston that I know. I use to drive through there going to Ft. Hood, and 90% of the time, any time of day, they would have someone pulled over and another 1-2 partrolling, I bet the crime rate is low thought.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.