2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a toilet that is leaking very small amounts of water, and only intermittently, from underneath the base of the toilet.

can't this pretty much only be the wax o-ring?

thanks.

·
Rolling Offset Flat Turn on 3... Break
8,036 Posts
YES

Yes it is usually only the wax ring, it is easily done if the tank comes off first. inspect the toilet while you have you have it off for cracks, and the pipe that it sits on

·
Jetty Fisher
679 Posts
Had this happen to me about 2 months ago! I replaced the wax ring and after a few weeks it was leaking again. So I go tired of it and called a plumber and he put two wax rings on it and all is well. He told me that the base plate that the toilet mounts to was not level and that was what was causing the problem!

-NF

·
Registered
321 Posts
Check the tank to bowl seal. Sometimes the rubber will be bad and leak. See if the tank moves too much. I had one that if I pushed it a little some water would leak down onto the floor. This is not really a pressure leak so it only leaked when disturbed. If this is the problem get a new seal kit. Don't over tighten the tank bolts and break the tank. Also check where the water line comes into the tank.

·
There's no time like overtime!
8,926 Posts
wax ring 99% of the time. fix it before your subflooring rots.... ask me how I know this....

·
Registered
563 Posts
I had the same problem, finding small amount of water intermittenly, turned out to be the rubber washer on the bolts holding tank to base were rotted, just replaced them and no more problems

·
Right wing nut job, Bitter clinger to 2C
14,926 Posts
Bruce most of the time its the wax ring is being compressed from the size of the arse sittin on it, but the intermittant part is because of the size of the waste that has been diposited into it.. When ya flush a large amount of crapp down the hole it wants to back up and thus creates the slow leak.. my suggestion would be buy an over sized toilet, one that matches the situation... JMO...

·
"Wizards begin as blacksmiths"
6,256 Posts
Oops, speckle catcher beat me to it.

Note to self: read all posts before responding.

They do make large (taller) wax rings. Check the sizes while at the store. I think they're called jumbo rings.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts