2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Farmboy
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard recently that when you use a choke designed for lead shot, with steel, it actually makes your pattern tighter than it should. For instance, a modified would give you a pattern like a full, etc. Does anyone know if this is the case and, more importantly, which choke do you veteran goose hunters recommend? Is it worth it to buy a choke made specifically for steel shot?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Snow Goose & Spoony Nightmare
759 Posts
Always pattern your chokes B4 buying after market. Smaller steel shot such as 2's etc will really respond to choke alot like lead. Bigger stuff tends to need a more open choke to pattern the best,but there are exceptions to every load/choke combo. If you really want the best pattern you REALLY need to pattern. I have one load that is BB's & it pattern better than anything I have seen with an IM choke.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
What you say is true. Another caution is NEVER shoot a full choke with steel (unless it says Steel = full Lead = Mod).

I patterned my benelli and my BPS 10 and both shoot best with factory I.C. - that should equal mod with lead, but actually they shoot a little tighter than that. With the mod choke the patterns are not as consistent.
I shoot mostly BBBs. One "rule of thumb" is the bigger the steel shot, the looser the choke should be (within reason). This also holds true with my guns as I shoot 2s or 1s in Kansas on close birds. But each gun may be different.

I have a lot of freinds who swear by Briley's extended chokes, light mod is a big favorite, but personally have never felt I needed one. The only aftermarket choke I own is an undertaker turkey tube, but that's for lead.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I just got a med and long range carlsons extended for my franchi (on sale at BPS). My patterns were real nasty at 30 yards with the factory chokes. Plus it was too confusing. they were labeled like this

Full-DO NOT SHOOT STEEL
IMP MOD-DO NOT SHOOT STEEL
Mod-STEEL FULL
Imp Cyl-STEEL FULL
*****-STEEL IMP CYL

I was missing and wounding alot of birds and not able to reach out and touch them like I used to with my 870. Problem solved with the new chokes so far (2 hunts with them)

·
Farmboy
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks once again for the good info, you folks are great.
I can pattern at the house as we live in on some land. Should I set up some poster board up at, say, 30 yards to pattern? I have been hunting all my life and have never patterned any of my shotguns, makes sense though.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
The official way is 40 yards, then draw a 30" circle so that it encompasses the most hits (not centered on the aim point), BUT, I shoot goose/turkey loads at 50 and just look for good pattern density without gaps or real thin spots. As someone else stated, different loads will often pattern a lot differently. Shoot at least 3, 5 is better, of each load choke combination.

·
Snow Goose & Spoony Nightmare
759 Posts
Pattern at the distances you will be shooting out to the furthest distance you will shoot. Alot of times it will surprise you how fast a pattern will come apart in just 10 yrds. Good Luck! Like LW mentioned ,shoot a minimum of 3 shots for each load at each range.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
The official way is 40 yards, then draw a 30" circle so that it encompasses the most hits (not centered on the aim point), BUT, I shoot goose/turkey loads at 50 and just look for good pattern density without gaps or real thin spots. As someone else stated, different loads will often pattern a lot differently. Shoot at least 3, 5 is better, of each load choke combination.
3 times, at 3 different boards, im assuming? This is what I did but at 30 yards. I didnt count the pellet % in circle, just looked at it and didnt like what I saw. This was with Franchi I-12 factory chokes (beretta mobilchoke) *****, ****, ***. Drylok 3" # 2 and Kent Fasteel 3" # 2

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
If you are shooting BB or BBB for your goose hunt you'll probably find that either your factory IC or Mod will pattern well enough. I wouldn't go buy a bunch of aftermarket chokes for one hunt. You'll find the specialty chokes can get expensive quick.

·
Land Locked
2,090 Posts
If you are shooting BB or BBB for your goose hunt you'll probably find that either your factory IC or Mod will pattern well enough. I wouldn't go buy a bunch of aftermarket chokes for one hunt. You'll find the specialty chokes can get expensive quick.
I agree here. just go pattern your load with the IC choke and it should be ok. Maybe not but most likely yes.
If IC shoots too big a pattern go down to Mod and try it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
JDS,
Lot's of good info above, I swear by the pattern master choke for goose hunting, when I first got the Pattern master I was amazed at the amount of geese I would just kill stone dead at further distances(instead of crippiling them), It is not a magic choke and the geese still have to be in range but you will see a diffrence. I have also heard the same thing about the steel shot being tighter than lead when using factory chokes.
TRW

·
Get Off My Bay!
6,584 Posts
You will learn alot about your gun when you pattern it. Butcher paper works well if you can find it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts