2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Twisted Fisher
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the opportunity to get down to Sargent this weekend and visit with Dan and Lisa. Had a good visit and even got offshore on the "On A Mission", man what a sweet ride. I know I'm going to be hearing from Regina on what our next boat needs to be.
Anyway, we took a ride down to the beach to look around and I'm telling you, this is a great spot for a Gathering.
Easy access, covered picnic tables, a larger covered gazebo, restrooms, 100 yards to the intercostal, 300 yards to the beach, access to the gulf only 12 minutes down the waterway. Gotta see it to believe it.....just awesome.
Pic 1 - Driving up
Pic 2 - Covered picnic tables
Pic 3 - Restroom's and intercostal
Pic 4 - Gazebo to intercostal. Looks like a good spot for the band.
Pic 5 - Sunrise on the water Saturday.

Dan can probably add some more details, I think you can also drive down the beach from there to the mouth.....did I hear FLOUNDER RUN?

Attachments

·
That DamnYankee!!
4,077 Posts
Looks like a cool spot G.

Did ya happen to notice if there was electric available? Any bbq's?

Jeff

·
Senior Member, do I get a discount?
1,920 Posts
Sargent is South East from BAy City on 457, between the San Bernard and Colorado rivers.

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
That place is no bueno. To much crime, etc. Houston avoids it like the plague. I'd stay away from it. ;)

·
Kamikaze
4,600 Posts
Yea, I agree with Infamous! Do go, u might like it and tell someone. Then it will be like every place else, crowded and torn up!!!!!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Yea, the crime is real bad. Last week we had a 5 gallon bucket blow out of the boat. Someone stole it before it hit the ground.

·
Twisted Fisher
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
True......I'd hate to see the swarms of people around there like other places. But I'm not too concerned about the good folks from this family. I live West of Houston and it took lees time getting down there than it does to access 5. Anyway, to answer a few questions, there are lights in the table covers, didn't see any outlets for power nor did I see any bbq grills. Trash cans, restrooms, boat launch, access to beach, bay intercostal and offshore fishing set it off nicely for more to attend.

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
My Dad goes there all the time in the big boat and stays at the anchorage on the ICW. But there's no fish there, or anything like that ;)

·
Banned
355 Posts
Nope, ain't no fish in the whole place. Especially on the flat on the left hand side, in the first cut after the Creek intersection. Nope, ain't no fish nowhere.

You can get to the cut down the beach... sometimes. My little Rodeo doesn't have a problem, but I had a Ford once, well let's just say, should've used better judgement.

My in-laws have a place there.The only problem I have down there, is not having a boat. It's a ****** to swim the ditch to do a little wade fishing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sargent is a great looking place to fish but the fresh water from the Colorado really keeps the big fish away. The fishing does begin to turn on somewhat when the river is running way below normal. Surfside area is still the place to go.

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,429 Posts
Ya'll are cracking me up,,, rotflmao..... Hey Gunner, got a pic of "On A Mission" ???? Post it up.....

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Gunner,

surprised I didn't run into you. I was staying down in Sargent with my 2 kids and we made the trip down the beach to the boat cut with no problem in a 2WD truck. You do have to have a $6 annual permit to drive on the beach though. Lots of good fish taken through that cut.

·
Twisted Fisher
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Darrell, no pic of the boat and since you wouldn't come play you don't deserve one....heck, I don't even have a pic of the Twisted Fisher.

TexasDux - didn't spend any time on the beach, dropped the boat in at the ICW ramp and headed out the cut. Spent a bit of time on the banks of the cut on Sunday while we were crusing around. Wasn't aware of the permit or where to get it. Saw a bunch of cars to and from, must not be a sticker permit of there were a bunch without them. I still think it would be a great place for a gathering.

·
I don't Exaggerate I just rememeber BIG!
234 Posts
Gunner said:
Darrell, no pic of the boat and since you wouldn't come play you don't deserve one....heck, I don't even have a pic of the Twisted Fisher.
WOW!
G-Man being alilttle hard on Badhabit aren't you? Heck the next time we see him, just give him a Miller Lite, that ought'a insult him! LMOA!

As far as security, hmmmm Mark don't tell the about the machine gun nests I have set up on the corners of the house that sense movement! I'll even bet most of the tables and covers are gone already. I am suprised we didn't capture the theives on the camera!

BTW - I though I saw someone carrying that bucket off the other day

The Colorado does pour out alot of fresh water there, I catch bass all the time, but there are no other fish out there as far as saltwater - no trout, no reds and no flatties.
The bay is almost silted-up can't get into it by boat.

I have to go 100 miles out to get to 50' of green water, haven't seen blue in forever.

Can't get down to the cut unless you have a dozer, beach is just to messed up!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I like ol Sargent. My grandparents use to live there. They lived in pecan shadows right on caney creek, thats the first road you get to coming off of 2611 right across from the VFW hall. Ne way, there is alot of great fishing right around there. I caught my first flounder at a place i think called mitchels cut. it was exactly 21". Pretty good for the first one i think. Also I know 2 great places to catch big croaker. One is on the intercostal canal, and the other one is the cut that seperates sargent beach from matagorda. Note that you will have to have 4 wheel drive to get down to the cut. I just stayed in 4 hi in my Z and got there w/ no prob. If ne one wants to get there rig muddy, well, i know a place on the beach that a CJ-7 cant get through. But yeah, id definitly like a gathering to be there at sargent. It would be good for me b/c i wouldnt have to stay at a motel, I have aunts and uncles that live down there and some drinkin buddy's of my dads.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
My Grandparents Lived there

They had a house on Caney Creek for over 20 years. So I spent alot of time on the creek, at the beach and in East Matty. Great place to water ski. Always smooth as glass and you had the whole creek to your self.

There are no fish down there, so don't bother. We never caught any flounder, trout or reds. And it is near impossible to fill up a washtub with 10" blue crabs.

I know those croaker holes you speak of. Do they still catch big ones? I haven't seen a big croaker since I was a pup.

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
troy merrill said:
And it is near impossible to fill up a washtub with 10" blue crabs.
If you live up the creek from Harbormaster then it is totally impossible to fill up a washtub with 10" blue crabs. Nothing gets by that pier. They have changed the slogan down there, it's not up the creek without a paddle anymore. It is "up the creek from harbormaster".

LMAO

1 - 20 of 23 Posts