2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after several weeks of trying to get over to Venice and catch a good weather window the weathers gods smiled on 11/23 -11/24. I had several 2coolers lined up for the adventure, Rob (fishtruck), Al (Calmday), and Squirtis (Curtis). I did however have to take my beautiful wife out for dinner on Saturday before departing. She wanted to see a movie and have mexican food which sounded good to me. The movie was good but I encountered an angry tamale at dinner which got really pi**ed off around 2:00 am before the start of the adventure. Thus, I arrived at Rob's house at 9:30 am slightly delayed secondary to the battle that my stomach and this angry tamale were having. We picked up Al and proceeded to NO Airport (5 ½ hrs) to pick up Curtis who was making the adventure from Tampa Bay.

During the trip to NO my stomach had been keeping the angry Mexican treat at bay but once we picked up Curtis and the corn meal roll with meat of unknown origin had reached the lower part of my gastrointestinal tract and my bowel faired poorly in its battle and the festival of smells began. Well the good news is that the drive down to Venice has never been a rose scented one so harm so foul:) We arrive at Cypress Cove Marina and to our luck the restaurant was just closing but they said they would serve us. We feasted on raw oysters and seafood platter until content then headed for bed. By this time the angry tamale was whooped and I was back in the saddle. We awoke to discover some electrical issues with the BOAT but were assisted by some local good Samaritans (Venice folks are great) and by a representative from my dealership resulting in a latter than anticipated departure but with plenty of time for catching.

Now to the actual report - our first stop was Lena to make bait and after 30 minutes we had some candy in the well and off to Mars/Ursa. Upon arriving at Mars we looped it with several trolls then set off for Cajun Express without any takers but we did get more bait at CJ. We settled in for the night at Mars with the BFT pulling our arms off but no sign of the yellow beasts so we made the tour of lights of 10 of the most impressive offshore floaters (Ursa, Devil's Tower, Discovery Enterprise, etc.) with our sights set on Thunder Horse. Blackfin were covering up all the rigs so we had mucho chucking material. We got to TH and waited for the morning and the morning produced one YFT and two that escaped along with a large "brown" shark. At 9:00 we made the decision to go troll Discovery Enterprise and that was the right decision for sure. As we came upon DE there was a great color change/rip and YFTs busting (or at least we thought they all were YFTs). We started our chunking effort and Al quickly hooks up with a nice YFT when all of a sudden a big blue all lit up chases Curtis' Whambat chugger and almost gets hooked. Well, marlin guru, Rob, decided that he wants that blue suit and slams a lively hardtail on the line and pitches it to the monster but something beats the pointy nose to the bait and its is massive. Now we have a quality problem two FISH ON! All I can say is the next hour or so is filled with team work, anticipation, and apprehension which results in a 100lb YFT and a 158 (bled) BIG EYE TUNA! We all were amazed at the girth of the big eye. Well as we had been fighting these beast we had company and this company was Hunter from Paradise Outfitters in his Twin Vee. This seasoned veteran of Venice proceeds to put 3 yes 3 monster big eye in his boat and one will be the new GOM record 198lbs. Way to go Hunter!!!! We tried a little longer but with seas building we make a call to head in with our bounty. We got back and cleaned up then headed to the Black Velvet for dinner which was amazing. So, the angry tamale adventure will go down in the books for one of the best Venice trips ever. Stay tuned more pics and video coming.

Thanks to my great crew - fishtruck, Calmday, and Squirtis

AGF

See post BD Squirtis pics at

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/louisiana-fishing/169528-cajun-pineapple.html

·
Banned
731 Posts
I was supposed to fish with Hunter for an overnighter a few months ago, but we got blown out. It think it blew 25knots all night that night, so the right call was made.

Great report. The marlin on the chugger would have been good stuff.

·
Concrete Contractor
12,404 Posts
Awesome report AGF! I had some Tamales yesterday but they werent angry, lol.
Sounds like a fun trip.

·
Salty Dawg
7,695 Posts
David, I once again thank you for the invite. It was an amazing trip and I had a blast.

·
break out the 80's and them fancy lures
6,836 Posts
Boom!!! Well done, gents. Sorry I couldn't be there. That is a sweet bigeye.

Rob, let's go catch a bluefin and an albi so you can complete the grandslam.

Brandon

·
Lifes 2 Short 2 B So Serious All Da Time
4,273 Posts
Congrats Fellas
Sounds like one heck of a trip

Yall Dun Gooud!!

Hog

PS: as they say

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Dude, you are a blast to have on an adventure such as the angry tamale! Sorry about the flatulational trip from the airport, and you will always have a spot on the BPII (new and improved) when your able to go.

Now, the best catch you ever will have will be in your arms shortly and congrats, new Dad!

Cheers me amigo,
D
P.S. Rob being 6 and several inches doesn't take a thing away from that monster

Thanks DAVE, Al , and even Rob:biggrin:

Lets do it again this winter for sure!!

Attachments

·
Goin' South
833 Posts
MMMMMMMMMMMM me like big eye raw. Bing bong, sing tau. You save head for me?

Nice work guys.

·
Vendor
6,013 Posts
new la AND GOM record tunas

Howdy,
Just got this email from one of our subscribers - CONGRATS!

Hey Tom, I am not sure if you have heard or not, but on Tuesday we broke the Louisiana state and Gulf of Mexico records (first place and second) for big eye tuna. For the record I was decking that day with my captain and owner of Paradise Outfitters, Hunter Caballero. He did a great job of putting our customers on the fish and is truly ahead of his years (we are both 25) with his ability to read water conditions and fish. Included is a link to the report.

I just wanted to say thanks for such an awesome program you offer. Your website is like a Bible to us and fishing without it is just blind. So many people down here think fishing is dead once the wintertime rolls around because there are no weed lines, etc. to fish. Your website played a key role in our selecting our spot to fish Tuesday. We also had a blue hooked up before he threw the hooks. Not bad for a mid November outing! Between working in Venice for Parade Outfitters as well as the big boat over in Orange Beach (Iona Louise; 61 foot bertram owned by my boss, Joe Hudson), you have put us on a lot of fish and a good bit of tournament winnings this year. Thanks again.

http://paradise-outfitters.com/fishing-report/

Captain Woody Woods
Paradise Outfitters
Venice, LA

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Congrats to hunter and crew....

We were there with you guys....full on badass huh...

I have a couple of pics I sent Hunter...hope he got em'

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He should really appreciate those great pics when you think about it being a GOM record sitting on the gunnel. Man, I am already to go back ASAP but while the fishing is great over there that day was extra phenomenal with 4 big eyes over 150 being caught at once. I will never forget our trip which was a fairly quick effort if you think about it.

Curtis, thanks for the video and catch'um up!

David

Congrats to hunter and crew....

We were there with you guys....full on badass huh...

I have a couple of pics I sent Hunter...hope he got em'

·
Registered
73 Posts
Anytime Dave..thanks again for the invite!

Great crew...had a blast!

Next time we need to get fish coming to gaff on video so I have more to work with...we will get it!!

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We'll need to bring a camera man or not have a double hook up with the need for 2 gaff men to bring in a monster. I prefer the first option and no matter what your video of the conquest at Discovery Enterprise was great.

Here's to our next adventure,
D

Anytime Dave..thanks again for the invite!

Great crew...had a blast!

Next time we need to get fish coming to gaff on video so I have more to work with...we will get it!!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
ASSwesome trip there David. I hope the new boat is running right for ya now.

Now, since we first met on my boat, & you & Mikeredman had the captain honors, I know all about the gastrointestinal tractions at sea. Glad to hear yours was a land based misfortune. Never, & I mean never have an oldtimer burger at Chilis before a hot, hot, summer day offshore adventure. Looks like I wll have to finally join you someday on a Venice adventure. Greenie report.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts