2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Just an old ?
6,830 Posts
Steelersfan,

Thanks for the info. I have put a post on the TOBA website along with the link to the website with the article. The Great Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson looks at the TOBA website just about every day. He'll see this article. I just wonder if he'll have the nads to do anything about it. I seriously doubt it.

GY

"Once you consent to some consession, you can never cancel it and put things back the way they are." Howard Hughes

·
Grand Master of Thread Kill
1,591 Posts
its been a long time

since texas has had a wallbanger of a storm. this kind of idiocy has a price. unfortunately its gonna be the little guy that pays the price for the pretentions of the rich and their toadie politicians. i wonder how loud the insurance companies are gonna squeal when it happens.

the morons are punchin holes in the best protection made....so they can get a better view of the water. i hope they are all there having a hurricane party when big momma blows in.

whatta world
:headknock

·
Registered
781 Posts
Hey Flats

flatsfats said:
i wonder how loud the insurance companies are gonna squeal when it happens.

The insurance companies won't be squealing. We will. The insurance companies exclude windstorm coverage for coastal counties.
Texas Windstorm Insurance is all government subsidized. Our tax dollars at their best!!!

I like the smiley face beating his head against the wall. I've mostly been on the sidelines on the beach controversy scratching my head. You'd think taht at least some of the folks making decisions would have some common sense. The open beaches act is pretty clear, but I guess money talks and fisherman have to walk...

·
Just an old ?
6,830 Posts
I'll tell you what, my good friends. Hold on, let me get on a taller soap box.

We pay into the windstorm AND flood insurance pools. The rates are ridiculously high and that's because we have to subsidize these dumba$$ million dollar beachfront homes.

If you want to make any difference at all, write to your federal representatives and senators and tell them what you really think in very plain terms. Then write to the folks at FEMA about maybe putting a cap on the amount they'll insure.

What amazes me is that for the first time in my life I am hearing people wishing for hurricanes to hit right where they live (particularly in Galveston).

A report came out earlier this year about how the possibility exists that two category four or five hurricanes hitting in the right places in this country in the same year could bankrupt the insurance industry because of all of the stupid, irresponsible development along the shores.

Jump. Off the soap box now.

Tom

·
Grand Master of Thread Kill
1,591 Posts
learned sumthin from this

"Texas Windstorm Insurance is all government subsidized. Our tax dollars at their best!!!"

but it all still comes down on the lil guy. same old song and dance.

gary you call the time and place and i'll come help ya squawk!:D

·
bait chunker n fish yanker
71 Posts
Why protest if it is not "Your Jurisdiction"... at least that was the excuse the judge used last time we went to court... we definitely need to come up with some real fire power in our government somewhere to protect these issues and these beaches... but lack of nads seems to run hand in hand with politicians these days. They must donate them in their campaigns or something. I get steamed and frustrated more every time I read something like that. TOBA is our only hope right now..

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
Galveston Yankee said:
I'll tell you what, my good friends. Hold on, let me get on a taller soap box.
Jump. Off the soap box now.

Tom
Keep the good info and education coming, Tom. Need a new avatar to alert folks when you're about to jumb back on? j/k ;) Unfortunately, those who really need to hear ya don't have their ears open.

Attachments

·
Just an old ?
6,830 Posts
Gary,

I wouldn't start fretting too much about this thing stalling out anytime soon. We may be a little quiet right now, but we are far from idle. We are all at that make haste slowly stage so we get it right.

Hey, any of you folks been paying attention to the deal being played out in Spanish Grant? Seems that the good side of Spanish Grant (that being the baysiders) has sued a partnership that had bought a nice, big house that can sleep up to 22 people to be used as a resort rental. Thing is, Spanish Grant is zoned as a residential, single family neighborhood and resort rentals are commercial properties that quite often have more than one family staying in them for short periods of time. It is also against the Spanish Grant deed restrictions.

A judge thinks that the Spanish Grant folks actually have a good case and it is going to go to trial. If the good siders win, it may mean the end to resort rentals on the west end of Galveston Island because they are pretty much all located in areas that are zoned residential, single family dwelling neighborhoods. Right now there is an injunction against renting the house for anything less than 90 days at a time.

That would probably result in a huge property sell-off on the west end because a great many of the property owners can't afford the properties without the resort rental income.

I seriously doubt that the west end subdivisions would go along with rezoning large chunks of their neighborhoods for commercial hotel stuff.

Wonder what that would do to the Sintex development that is slated to be 80% or so resort rental. God, life is good - sometimes.

Tom

Pelican, thanks for the box to stand on! I love it!!

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Tom

Finally, some good news. Doing all that research we were doing, zoning kept popping up but I kept shrugging it off not knowing what the zoning laws were down there.

We need to pile up on this one. :biggrin:

·
Just an old ?
6,830 Posts
Gary,

Resort rental type stuff comes up periodically in the legislature, usually dealing with the stupid resort rental signs that hang on houses in areas where business signs are prohibited by deed restrictions. The real estate lobby is so strong that they have been able to dissuade the legislators from doing anything about it.

The laws covering real estate allow for real estate signs to placed on properties where signs are prohibited, which actually makes sense. What doesn't make sense is including the permanent, resort rental, advertisement signs in the same category as real estate "for sale" signs which are temporary.

This suit may change the way the resort rental industry is run in the entire state.

Bet there is some legislation introduced to protect the real estate companies during the next legislative session.

Tom

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Anyone get one of these today?

Dear Mr. Harris,

Thank you for your email regarding the Coastal Coordination Council's shore protection goals and policies. Commissioner Patterson asked me to respond on his behalf.

The CCC is in the process of revising its goals and policies on shore protection. The General Land Office is also updating its beach and dune rules in this area as well.

The purpose for these changes is to reflect the new information that we have gathered since the goals and policies were originally adopted. Much has been learned about the interaction of geotextile tubes with the infrastructure and environment around them, and these updates are intended to incorporate this learning.

None of these changes will remove shore protection from under the jurisdiction of the CCC. In fact, that could never happen, since the CCC is required to review all designated activities within the coastal zone for consistency with the Texas Coastal Management Plan.

When the CCC and the GLO do propose the changes under consideration, they will be made available to the public and we will solicit input from all those interested in this issue.

If you have any specific questions about this process, please contact me or Mr. Eddie Fisher, director of Coastal Stewardship at (512) 463-9215 or [email protected].

Bill

Bill Peacock
Deputy, Coastal Resources
Texas General Land Office
(512) 463-0928
[email protected]

>>> Gary Harris <[email protected]> 07/06/04 01:38PM >>>

Please, please, leave it alone. I will fight this. This is my E Mail to the CCC. There will be hundreds to follow.

I Am Writing You In Regards Of The Transfer Of Policy Regarding Those Sand Socks To The General Land Office And The Land Commissioner. Its Obvious This Move Isn't In The Publics Best Interests. Only In The Interests Of A Few. The Coastal Coordination Council Should Retain Control.

Thank you.

Gary Harris.

Houston Texas.

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
Galveston Yankee said:
Pelican, thanks for the box to stand on! I love it!!
You're welcome, Tom ... I was really surprised when I spotted the avatar next to your handle ... then had a good laugh.
OK, now back to serious business. Go get'em, Gary! :bounce:

Bob

·
Just an old ?
6,830 Posts
The announcement that the GLO is adopting the Galveston Beach Access plan is on the Texas Register today. It's the longest announcement with justifications I've ever seen on there for such a simple rule.

We got an advance copy from the GLO and it printed out to be 31 pages. I guess they felt they had to really lay it on thick so everybody would believe they were unbiased and gave fair consideration to all comments! I'll believe that when pigs fly!

Tom

I really think everyone should just avoid Galveston. I try to and I live here! (lol) There are fish in other places along the coast. No need in giving these folks any of your money (unless you're going to my step-daughter's place - The Rusty Hook - then spend as much as you can afford!!!!!)

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Tom

You just touched a nerve that has been bothering me. Its been bothering me since the former mayor made that comment about fisherman in Galveston. The t-shirt and 5 dollar bill comment. Since then, I have boycotted Galveston. Whats been bothering me is, thats taking away bussiness from the person who has been working on keeping our beaches open for TEN YEARS. The "Hook" should be supported. Mont, can I use the "F" word about how I feel about the rest Galveston? lol

Im thinking, next weekend, a surf fishing trip. Pick up some bait, and fish in front of that crazy ladies house who yells at people and tapes them. LOL

Anybody want to stir the pot next weekend?

·
Banned
179 Posts
Government subsidized insurance for wind damage in a hurricane prone area or flood insurance in a flood plain drive me nuts! Why I am paying for it thru my tax dollars? If you want to live in an area that WILL be hit by a hurricane or WILL get flooded, then you bear the cost on your own! I'ld rather take the money away from this kind of subsidy and put into some thing like CHIPS or veterans benefits...but that's just my opinion. What do I know?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts