2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Daughter is in the market for a replacement for her '94 Explorer and was looking at a newer model Explorer. However, she's come across a nice Expedition at a decent price so I'm interested in your real life experience if you have either one of these vehicles. The Expedition has the small 4.6L V8 and I would expect an Explorer would have a similar engine these days so should she see MPG in the same range? The person with the Expedition claims 16-18 which sounds about right to me for that size vehicle. I'm thinking maybe a couple MPG better but nothing dramatic. Appreciate your thoughts/comments.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
We have a 03 Eddie Bauer Expedition with a 5.4. I run synthetic oil and BG 44K every 6k or so and still only get 14.5. I thought it would get closer to 16-18. I have friends with Surbubans who get better mileage. We've been very unhappy with it. I'd stay away from Ford and look real hard at the Nissan Pathfinder or Armada. There's a reason their stock is at $8.00 share. **** poor quality IMO

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have a '01 Expedition with the 4.6L and consistently get 16-18 mpg. Pretty strong engine nand has been been very reliable.

·
Registered
99 Posts
2000 Ford Expedition with 5.4 liter.

I get 15mpg mixed driving w/ no trailer, and 8.4mpg pulling my pontoon.

Only problem I have had is the ignition coils. Aprox 55.00 each. I've replaced 4.
Good family vehicle.

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
I have an escalade and get about 17mpg mixed driving, my dodge diesel that I also curently have gets about 18 mpg........ I had an expedition 5.4L before my dodge diesel and got 12.5mpg mixed driving. I woul dnever get another ford again.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Why do people keep buying Ford. Hell they are catching fire AGAIN!!!!

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Argo, we were down your way today to pick up an Expedition. Not quite the kind of deal you got on the Escalade though........;) But still reasonable and our daughter is happy with it.

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
my moto is this with cars, houses, toys in general......if you can afford it and you are happy with it, it was the right choice.....

·
MAKO 23
372 Posts
libertyFF said:
2000 Ford Expedition with 5.4 liter.

I get 15mpg mixed driving w/ no trailer, and 8.4mpg pulling my pontoon.

Only problem I have had is the ignition coils. Aprox 55.00 each. I've replaced 4.
Good family vehicle.
$25.00 each at Jegs or Summit Racing

·
Registered
147 Posts
the interior on my F350 diesel sold me over the dodge 2 years ago, but if I had to do it over again I would buy the cummins due to the mileage and longevity. I also believe there is a reason FORD stock is where it is (IMO).

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info on the ignition coils. I'll keep this in mind if we run into problems.
Interestingly, my daughter drove it down after she'd had it a week and the 'service soon' light came on just before she got home so while she was on vacation I checked it over. Found a pre-formed vacuum hose with a big hole in it. Seems to have gotten to hot because it was very soft at the bend.

·
Getting shallower means chewing mud
1,643 Posts
This may be late, but it looks like you didn't get a good answer on the new Explorer mileage. We have an '04 Explorer with the V6 and 5 speed auto tranny that my wife drives daily. It gets about 20 in mixed driving and 22-23 on the highway. It has been a good vehicle and has about 50,000 miles on it in 3 1/2 years.

A co-worker of mine has the exact same Explorer and gets similar mileage as my wife. His is approaching 100,000 miles as we drive a lot for work.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info Tim. My daughter went ahead with an '03 Expedition with the 4.6L V8. Only had 32,000 miles on it. So far she's getting around 17 combined.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts