2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this question will garner some response.... Do you know if there is anyplace in the East Unit that you can walk in and hunt? I've called but the lady I talked to wasn't for sure. If anyone has any experience with this are could you be so kind to help out? I'm just trying to find a place to duck hunt a little bit since I only have a BIG white Goose decoy (the Kenner) to take me hunting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There are several spots you can walk in on the East Unit, they also have lottery hunts for goose fields and duck fields that are walk in. You can also walk into Middleton from 124, but it is a pretty tuff walk.

·
Registered
332 Posts
ANWR

There is a long line on Sat. mornings but Sunday and Tuesday have about 1/2 the people. My grandson and I have hunted the youth season and 2nd
weekend and had fair about of birds and only once been skunked and we are neewbies having a blast out there.:flag:

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Guys i'm sure the guys that hunt the area on a regular basis and who have done their homework and scouting would REALLY appreciate it if you responded via PM. Not trying to bash anyone but anyone that types in Anahuac ducks in google will come across this info...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys i'm sure the guys that hunt the area on a regular basis and who have done their homework and scouting would REALLY appreciate it if you responded via PM. Not trying to bash anyone but anyone that types in Anahuac ducks in google will come across this info...
First of all what is the point of a forum if you can't ask questions so that guys that have experience can help fellow people out. Yeah I could google it and I have but I like getting on here to ask questions because believe it or not you usually get better answers than that on the internet

Second I'm not asking for specifics I was just curious if there were places to walk in. (Didn't know that would offend anyone that had done alot of leg work)

3rd if you don't have anything on the topic that is asked just keep a lid on it. Its guys like you that ruin things like this for people.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Get over it. That is what the forum is for, to share experiences and maybe help someone out if you can.

·
Registered
79 Posts
First of all what is the point of a forum if you can't ask questions so that guys that have experience can help fellow people out. Yeah I could google it and I have but I like getting on here to ask questions because believe it or not you usually get better answers than that on the internet

Second I'm not asking for specifics I was just curious if there were places to walk in. (Didn't know that would offend anyone that had done alot of leg work)

3rd if you don't have anything on the topic that is asked just keep a lid on it. Its guys like you that ruin things like this for people.
I agree with you. It takes me back at the number of people that dont want to help others learn to hunt. Look at the declining numbers of hunters everywhere. We need to help each other. When I first went to Joe Lagow's Barrow Ranch walk in there were 600 hunters going in on an opening day. Go to your local High School and see how many kids go hunting. We had better be helping each other out or HUNTING AS WE KNOW IT WILL GO AWAY. Dont forget there are millions that would just as soon see it leave.

I did not have a Dad that hunted so I learned most everything by myself in the 70's, and 80's, and 90's and I am still learning today. Hell did I take the easy way by using a map, rather than holding my wet finger in the air and heading into the marsh?? We hired a pilot to fly us over the coast, did I cheat or go the easy way. There were tools to use in the 70's and there are tools to use in this decade and the internet and forums such as this one are some of them. The only thing that I got out of wondering in the marsh alone was broke down, ugly, and old. I learned more in 2 hours on that plane that all the rest of the years combined on foot.

I met my best friend in the late 70's when he asked at the Trinity River (**** gave up another secret spot)boat ramp if he could follow us out. He had never hunted there. We let him and hunt with him today. Guess what he turned me on to the Anahuac National Wildlife refuge. Boated me right in to one of the best spots on the Texas Coast. Honestly if you are man enough to get there, you probably want it bad enough anyway.

Let's help each other out. Remember take a kid hunting. We are all in the same boat:cheers:

·
Registered
332 Posts
ANWR

Come on out about 3:30 am they open the gate at 4am . Sonny the older fellow working the gate will sign you in and then you wait for a duck drawing. Sunday and Tuesday you only have 7 to 10 hunters to compete for about 35 spots. Talk to the fellows there I did and got some good tips.
Saturdays will have 15- 30 trucks first thing. Goose fields are first come first serve 2-6 hunters. Some have water and ducks on. :headknock

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I used to hunt there it was a must that we got there around 12:30 or 1:00. Don't know how much it has changed but we made sure that we got a spot because they only let so many hunters on there. There was always 2- 5 trucks in line before us when we got there and others were pulling up shortly after.

·
Remember the Veterans
8,040 Posts
They let 100 hunters in but there is NEVER that many. The drawing for permit only duck spots are held 1 hour before shooting time so getting there before everybody else in not an issue. Sonny checks people in at 4:00. When you pull up, tell him you want the drawing hunt and he will show you where to park and wait for the drawing.

Be advised though, the hunting has been a little slow with so much water in the marsh. It is draining and this last cool front should have helped.

MOSQUITOS are in FULL RUT and will put even a hardcore hunter down. They would prolly kill a regular guy!!

(you have NO idea how hard it is for me to give out info on a place I've hunted for 30 years but "turbosdad" is correct and his reply on the first page was very compelling)

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
They let 100 hunters in but there is NEVER that many. The drawing for permit only duck spots are held 1 hour before shooting time so getting there before everybody else in not an issue. Sonny checks people in at 4:00. When you pull up, tell him you want the drawing hunt and he will show you where to park and wait for the drawing.

Be advised though, the hunting has been a little slow with so much water in the marsh. It is draining and this last cool front should have helped.

MOSQUITOS are in FULL RUT and will put even a hardcore hunter down. They would prolly kill a regular guy!!

(you have NO idea how hard it is for me to give out info on a place I've hunted for 30 years but "turbosdad" is correct and his reply on the first page was very compelling)
Man you aint lying about the mosquitoes. LOL funny story. I was hunting with a couple guys in Dallas this last wkend and they were talking about how the mosquitoes were bothering them and told me 'sorry, they usually arent this bad'. I was like...'what usually isnt this bad? there are mosquitoes here?' I was in heaven compared to what im used to hunting in. Guaranteed to inhale 5-10 of them suckers on the boat ride in.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Come on out about 3:30 am they open the gate at 4am . Sonny the older fellow working the gate will sign you in and then you wait for a duck drawing. Sunday and Tuesday you only have 7 to 10 hunters to compete for about 35 spots. Talk to the fellows there I did and got some good tips.
Saturdays will have 15- 30 trucks first thing. Goose fields are first come first serve 2-6 hunters. Some have water and ducks on. :headknock
That is, until this post was started and this was written.

I don't hunt out there nor do I ever plan to, but you guys need to get a clue :rolleyes:

·
Capt of the spyglass Potlicker club!
12,606 Posts
There is two awesome sites full of info and these guy love to help newbies..
1) http://refugeforums.com/refuge/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=25 ,,find gringopistolero there he'll hook you up! :biggrin:

2)http://www.txwaterfowler.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=3 ,,,check with Drake or Capn either one! :biggrin: DUKFVR TOO! sense he's loking

or just ask they don't bash like plgorman, he hunts there and his bud told him where so it's his spot now. :biggrin:

If it were me,, I go to JD Murphee wma instead! or just hunt the end of the old river..:cheers:

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
There is two awesome sites full of info and these guy love to help newbies..
1) http://refugeforums.com/refuge/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=25 ,,find gringopistolero there he'll hook you up! :biggrin:

2)http://www.txwaterfowler.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=3 ,,,check with Drake or Capn either one! :biggrin: DUKFVR TOO! sense he's loking

or just ask they don't bash like plgorman, he hunts there and his bud told him where so it's his spot now. :biggrin:

If it were me,, I go to JD Murphee wma instead! or just hunt the end of the old river..:cheers:
Right b/c you know me, where I hunt, and how I find my spots...I hope your job pays you to troll internet forums all day b/c I dont see how you have time to do anything else!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts