2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I live to fish!
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've been out with buddies and a guide twice in the last four months.

Both times, the guides were the FIRST to have their lines in the water at each stop.

The guide we had in November at least tied a few lures on for some of the fishermen, but the one we had this past Friday....well, he didn't do a **** thing other than drive the boat, then work the trolling motor while he fished.

I'm somewhat experienced, and kept my mouth shut. But by the end of the day Friday I was terribly frustrated as we kept drifting the same reefs that were not producing jack shazbat. We fished TWO spots/areas on all day trip.

The guide we had this past Friday has a decent reputation here (no, I will not name him), but quite frankly I felt like we paid him $500 to fish with us.

We came home with five fish....four of them HE caught....that's how much help he was to the other guys.

What should my expectation be? Should they chase fish 'til they run out of gas?

Please let me know your thoughts.....

·
You'll Never Catch em Like That
7,050 Posts
I would say all day at two spots was not a true effort of locating fish. It also sounds

like he was not very helpful which is why he is getting paid. Did he offer a future trip

at a discounted rate or anything. Way it goes sometimes though he cannot make

them bite but sounds like the effort lacked somewhat on his part.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
All that matters is did u tip him. LOL. Guides that I have taken usually ask us if we need help fishing. We tell him that we are proficient and he just need for him to take us to the spot and he can fish his heart out. We also let him know that we dont need our fish cleaned and he usually stays out another hour for us. This is communicated and agreed upon before we get on the boat.

·
Catch a New Personal - Learn How!
12,640 Posts
A goog guide will provide service and fish his heart out to help you find them...they'll drive all over looking if they have too, and they'll make sure your casting the whole time even if it mean they get to clean up a birds nest or 2 and they'll make sure your rigged up right all the time for each location. A good guide knows how to locate fish, even on the tough days... there are days when even he can't make them bite...but he'll try his heart out. Doesn't sound like you got that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Doesn't sound acceptable, and I wouldn't use him again.

One thing though, as the customer we have to speak up and let the guide know what I want. When I book, I tell the guide what I want, and if we are fishing and he's catching and I'm not, I will stop him and have him break down what he's doing and observe what I'm doing.

·
Hook-N-Reel
995 Posts
I posted a similar post a while back about guides cuz i had the same kinda experience in the past and was looking to book another trip.
http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=473455&highlight=question+guides

I learned you HAVE to do some research on the guides and once you narrow it down to 1or2 guides, pick up the phone and talk to them. Grant it i know they pretty much have the same basic info/speech at that point, but thats not what your looking for. Just talking to him is where you find out a little about his personality, and if he has a real passion for what he does.
I found a very well rep'd guide on 2cool that my wife and i decided to go fishing with and we only brought home a few fish(just one of those days) but the trip was awesome!!! That guide worked his tail off we hit atleast 6 or 7 different spots(half day) and taught us a lot about the area and the fish... All i can tell ya is BE SURE you talk to the guides BEFORE you book and after you book.

Better luck next time
-jt

·
Spending way too much time on 2Cool
8,606 Posts
I've only been on a handful of guided trips because I seem to do just as well on my own most of the time. It is nice to have someone show you around when you're in unfamiliar water, but I don't want anyone hooking fish and handing me the pole. I think communication with the guide up front about your expectations is the key to a good experience.

·
Often profane...occassionaly profound
2,736 Posts
You should send him a note about your concerns and feelings regarding the service.

If he is professional he will appreciate some constructive feedback.

If not, well then you know

·
fish control my brain
7,713 Posts
One of my first questions to guides now is, am I paying you to fish with me, or are you going to help with my technique, and what you are looking for.

Another side could be, the guide thought you were capable and did not want to insult you by telling you what to do. If he did make suggestions and you did not follow his advice ... he just let you be. I know there are two sides of every story .... and I for one, apperciate you not wanting to share the guides name.

They all know where the fish are, but can't make them bite .... That might be why he stayed in the area .... It looked like something else to you when the bite did not turn on

·
Registered
336 Posts
As a guide entering my 14th year of full time business(I'm 34) I think I can give a pretty good example of how a guide SHOULD operate after fishing with thousands of clients and next to many other well known guides.
First and foremost, a guides job is to produce fish, not catch them. Different times of the year and different conditions will dictate the exact approach. For example, in the late spring and summer we begin "spot" fishing, meaning I pull up to a spot, anchor and fish. I know the fish are there. At this time I usually do not pick up a rod for myself unless we are not getting bit. At that time I will make a few casts to figure out what the fish might be doing different or if I might need to move the boat slightly. As soon as we get on the bite, my rod is put away and my time is spent helping the clients to make sure they spend as much time in the water as possible.
Earlier in the season, like now, the fish tend to be a little more scattered most times causing me to troll banks, drift flats etc. At this time, I will have my rod out and actively fishing...until a consistent pattern is established. Some days the bite might be slow and scattered and I will fish throughout the day...but not at the expense of the clients. When they need help, I'm reeling in...be it a tangle, to net a fish, a snag or some type of malfunction.
When we arrive at our first stop, 9.9 times out of 10 the rods are already rigged for the style of fishing we are doing...unless I change my mind and decide to do something different on the way. However, when I stop, I either stop well short and drift as we set up all the rods or just anchor with the power pole. At no point do I simply just tell the clients what they need to do and go about fishing.
I use extremely high end equipment and my tackle is pre rigged so the clients have no reason to bring their own, unless they just want to. This saves time as the equipment is exactly suited, set up and tuned for the style of fishing we are doing. When the boat stops, customers are ready to rock, no wasted time. I've caught tens of thousands of fish in my lifetime already so the edge is kinda knocked off lol My focus is on my clients experience and this should be every guides focus.
As far as how many spots we fish, that depends on a multitude of issues. I can assure you if I come in with 5 fish(which has NEVER happened) we will have fished more than two spots.
In no way am I bragging on myself, just stating how a guided trip should be run. I'm continually blown away by the shenanigans of SOME guides. This does nothing but give the rest of us a bad name. The number one factor is COMMUNICATION with your guide.

·
Registered
14,376 Posts
As a guide entering my 14th year of full time business(I'm 34) I think I can give a pretty good example of how a guide SHOULD operate after fishing with thousands of clients and next to many other well known guides.
First and foremost, a guides job is to produce fish, not catch them. Different times of the year and different conditions will dictate the exact approach. For example, in the late spring and summer we begin "spot" fishing, meaning I pull up to a spot, anchor and fish. I know the fish are there. At this time I usually do not pick up a rod for myself unless we are not getting bit. At that time I will make a few casts to figure out what the fish might be doing different or if I might need to move the boat slightly. As soon as we get on the bite, my rod is put away and my time is spent helping the clients to make sure they spend as much time in the water as possible.
Earlier in the season, like now, the fish tend to be a little more scattered most times causing me to troll banks, drift flats etc. At this time, I will have my rod out and actively fishing...until a consistent pattern is established. Some days the bite might be slow and scattered and I will fish throughout the day...but not at the expense of the clients. When they need help, I'm reeling in...be it a tangle, to net a fish, a snag or some type of malfunction.
When we arrive at our first stop, 9.9 times out of 10 the rods are already rigged for the style of fishing we are doing...unless I change my mind and decide to do something different on the way. However, when I stop, I either stop well short and drift as we set up all the rods or just anchor with the power pole. At no point do I simply just tell the clients what they need to do and go about fishing.
I use extremely high end equipment and my tackle is pre rigged so the clients have no reason to bring their own, unless they just want to. This saves time as the equipment is exactly suited, set up and tuned for the style of fishing we are doing. When the boat stops, customers are ready to rock, no wasted time. I've caught tens of thousands of fish in my lifetime already so the edge is kinda knocked off lol My focus is on my clients experience and this should be every guides focus.
As far as how many spots we fish, that depends on a multitude of issues. I can assure you if I come in with 5 fish(which has NEVER happened) we will have fished more than two spots.
In no way am I bragging on myself, just stating how a guided trip should be run. I'm continually blown away by the shenanigans of SOME guides. This does nothing but give the rest of us a bad name. The number one factor is COMMUNICATION with your guide.
I wish there were more guides like you out there man! Seems like they will let anyone become a guide these days. Lots of "bread and butter" guides that love booking trips with out of towners that get excited catching a bunch of dink trout on live shrimp under a popping cork so it makes their money come quick and easy. Lets not forget the others that charge $500 or more to go out with a bag of dead shrimp and fill a boat with reds and black drum in three hours and call it a day...many of us have a bad taste in our mouth due to bad experiences with nonsense like this!

http://www.fishingscout.com/anglers/SmackDaddy

·
Registered
336 Posts
I wish there were more guides like you out there man! Seems like they will let anyone become a guide these days. Lots of "bread and butter" guides that love booking trips with out of towners that get excited catching a bunch of dink trout on live shrimp under a popping cork so it makes their money come quick and easy. Lets not forget the others that charge $500 or more to go out with a bag of dead shrimp and fill a boat with reds and black drum in three hours and call it a day...many of us have a bad taste in our mouth due to bad experiences with nonsense like this!

I'm not going to say I don't fish live bait under a popping cork or dead shrimp for reds...but I certainly do not make 3 hour trips and head in. Much depends on the goals of the customers, their experience and expectations among other factors. My point is that there is a certain level of professionalism and etiquette that all guides should maintain.

·
Registered
14,376 Posts
I'm not going to say I don't fish live bait under a popping cork or dead shrimp for reds...but I certainly do not make 3 hour trips and head in. Much depends on the goals of the customers, their experience and expectations among other factors. My point is that there is a certain level of professionalism and etiquette that all guides should maintain.
Nothing wrong with redfish and popping corks but i meant taking advantage of customers that dont know any better and how some guides do the bare minimum when they get people like that in their boat.

·
Often profane...occassionaly profound
2,736 Posts
Is there any "guide rating" website that a novice could use when deciding who to hire.

I think it would be good for the market to name names both good and bad.

I know anybody can have a bad trip, now and then, but guys that continually get poor ratings and multiple dissatisfied customers, would be a good sign that something needs to change

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.