2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life.

One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with education. He argued,
'What's a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in
life was to become a teacher?'

He reminded the other dinner guests what they say about teachers: 'Those
who can, do.. Those who can't, teach.'

To stress his point he said to another guest; 'You're a teacher, Bonnie.
Be honest. What do you make?'

Bonnie, who had a reputation for honesty and frankness replied, 'You want
to know what I make? (She paused for a second, then began...)

'Well, I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could.

I make a C+ feel like the Congressional Medal of Honor winner.

I make kids sit through 40 minutes of class time when their parents can't
make them sit for 5 without an IPod, Game Cube or movie rental.

You want to know what I make?' (She paused again and looked at each and
every person at the table.)

'I make kids wonder.

I make them question.

I make them apologize and mean it.

I make them have respect and take responsibility for their actions.

I teach them to write and then I make them write. Keyboarding isn't
everything.

I make them read, read, read.

I make them show all their work in math. They use their God given brain,
not the man-made calculator.

I make my students from other countries learn everything they need to know
about English while preserving their unique cultural identity.

I make my classroom a place where all my students feel safe.

I make my students stand, placing their hand over their heart to say the
Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag, One Nation Under God, because we live in
the United States of America.

Finally, I make them understand that if they use the gifts they were
given, work hard, and follow their hearts, they can succeed in life.'

(Bonnie paused one last time and then continued.)

'Then, when people try to judge me by what I make, with me knowing money
isn't everything, I can hold my head up high and pay no attention because
they are ignorant.... You want to know what I make?

I MAKE A DIFFERENCE. What do you make Mr. CEO?'

His jaw dropped, he went silent.

THIS IS WORTH SENDING TO EVERY TEACHER YOU KNOW.

Even all your personal teachers like mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters,
and your spiritual leaders/teachers - Pastor's/Priests/Clergy.

Make a difference today and e-mail it to everyone on your mailing list,
for that matter!

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Very nice, this is going immediately to my daughter who's at Sam Houston getting her
education degree. Where would any of us be with out teachers???
Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey folks ,I don't think the intent of this message by the original author was to compare what a teacher made vs the CEO,the social standing of either or how realistic the post may be..................It is intended to remind thiose who have forgot, just how important the teacher is and how they impact your childs life.

I guess those who find fault ,don't care.

dick

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
chazbo said:
Pretty unrealistic......
Having grown up with parents in the school system, this is very believable to me. I know several teachers that would say the same to anyone who put down
the profession.
And without teachers the CEO would be super sizing as we speak. Besides it's just to make a point.
Rick

·
"Wizards begin as blacksmiths"
6,256 Posts
That teacher is a one in a million and she probably doesn't teach in Texas because she wouldn't be ABLE to teach all that stuff to her students because those subjects aren't on the TAKS.

Get rid of the TAKS and turn our teachers loose and let them TEACH!

·
Ice tea and beans
4,589 Posts
Wolf6151 said:
Was the teacher a hottie?
the best question of the post.........LMAO!!!

for sure most teachers are under appreciated, over worked, and under paid.

I've had some good teachers, some bad teachers, and a couple just like the one mentioned in the original post, and looking back now, I appreciate the job they did, even more now.

·
Unruly Member
2,620 Posts
Hey, if it weren't for that CEO I'd probably not have a job. Couldn't pay taxes, couldn't send my kids to school.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think somewhere in the life of that CEO he had a teacher like everyone else, and he would be where he is if it wasn't for a teacher.

·
Banned
579 Posts
Teachers don't work that much

I respect teaches in that they have a difficult job but, they ain't all that. Education degrees are the easiest of all four year degrees to obtain. People are always harping about the poor pay of teachers. I call BS on that. Let's see, a teacher works about half of what the rest of us work. Sure they make less but if you consider the amount of days they actually work they are pretty well compensated.

How many of us are off ten days at Christmas, have a week at spring break, and are off work for two months in the summer? Not many I would venture. If a teacher is being paid at, say $35,000 per year, but only works half the time as the rest of us they are effectively being paid at the rate of $70,000 if they ahd a full time job.

Plus, we need to consider the damage the teachers' union has done to the education system. The quality of education has steadily declined (not all the teachers' fault) and it can be nearly impossible to fire a poor teacher. How many of you saw/experienced the sexual contact between student and teacher that is taking place today?

Let the bashing begin.

·
aka: KSims1868
3,848 Posts
Teachers USED to make a difference when they were allowed to.

Now...they (not by choice) are forced to train test takers.

My mother is a teacher and has been for 25 years. She was in Public School (Pearland ISD) for 20+ years, and used to love teaching. Her last few years there were horrible. She is currently teaching in the private sector, and loves it. She has said many times she would NEVER go back to teaching in public school.

Referring to the original message...I do "get it", and it's a neat message. Makes you feel all warm inside, but sadly...it's just not true these days. The public school systems are out of control and in a downward spiral. If I can afford it (and I'm going to do my best to try) my daughter will likely not be in public school.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks for the original post. This really hits close to home with me because of what we are going thru with my highschool freshman son. I won't rant here because I don't want to hijack the thread, but I have never understood why we as society spend billions on athletes who entertain but not teachers that make a difference. Think about it. At most highschool campuses you can fill a stadium on Friday night, but you can't even fill a room when they have an open house at that same school.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
JWL, at first I thought you were serious but then realized that no one could be that ignorant. I usually get to work at 7:30 and leave at 5:00 or 5:30. I also get a generous thirty minutes to eat lunch every single day. I won't get into the dealing with the knuckleheads all day long because that comes with the territory. According to your calculations teachers should only earn half of what they make now, which comes to about $17,500. Let's see what kind of teachers you'd get who feel that is compensation for what they do. Nah, you just had to be kidding....right?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts