2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted this in the bow hunting section but didnt get alot of attention so I thought I would post it here to see if anyone here had any info for the area/what to expect.

We will be hunting this area for the first time during that week. We are seasoned hunters/outdoors men but would like any info on the area to help with the hunt. We are downloading maps like crazy but would like some better ones besides the ones on the site. We are looking forward to the camping and camp life for a week. Anyone gonna be in the area during that time? Any info, good lucks, be safes are welcomed.

·
"Wizards begin as blacksmiths"
6,256 Posts
Amistad is a beautiful area. There are few trees - mostly desert scrub brush. Not sure what types of set ups you will have, or will need to make up on your own, but I'm thinking that a pop-up blind will be taller than most of the vegetation out there, and will therefore stand out like an ugly chair in your living room.

I've never hunted there, but have done quite a bit of bank fishing. I've seen all kinds of animals along the banks of the resevoir from deer to turkey. If you can hunt near the water, my advice would be to scout out trails, look for activity then find a place to build a brush blind to conceal yourself. The winds out there can be pretty dramatic, so take that in to consideration. Here are some pics I took a couple of years ago. And yes, that nasty, hard scrabble, desolate looking country is teeming with wildlife.

If you decide to go into Del Rio for a meal, or whatever, I suggest Don Marcellino's. Not the one out on the edge of town that they call the Super Buffet, but the one closer into the middle of town - pretty good Mexican food. Ask a local, they'll know which one I mean. There is a Rudy's BBQ there now. The Super Wal-Mart is huge. Stop by Russell's Hardware if you have a few minutes (its wehere U.S. 90 makes a 90 degree turn in town). They actually have a decent outdoor section - mainly fishing stuff, but still fun to walk around.

Secure your campsite - both locals and transients from across the river could be interested in your stuff. Be safe, have fun and good luck! Be sure to post up when you get back!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well we didnt come back with any deer meat but had an awesome hunting experience. We arrived Christmas eve and got permits the next morning and did some scouting. We looked and walked area 5 and it was beautiful with the canyons and draws but seemed kinda boxed in. We did see a doe and a small buck but nothing that held our attention to hunt this area. We hit area 2 and it seemed more our style very thick in some areas lots of flats and some ridges and lake fingers coming into it. We set up some quick brush blinds to hunt that evening. I set up and started rattling and grunting and heard a grunt back in the brush but didnt seem to be coming or going anywhere. I decided to slip and see what this was. I was in full camo and kill suit i walked down a trail that you could barely see over the brush. I saw the buck and he was walking away from me he was 20 yards max. I noticed a game trail crossing the path I was on and kneeled down to get ready for a shot. I got a great look at him solid 10pt with approx 16-18" inside spread ( keep in mind I never looked to my left and couldnt figure out why the buck was soo one minded to where he was going ) I went to full draw and moved to the left to line up on him when we walked out but was greeted to the noised of a doe stomp and blow and she took off with him following. I had my head up my rear never once thought why he didnt look my way or notice anything else. Oh well it was a thrill to see a buck like that the first night there. After that we saw plenty of deer but then the other hunters showed up like flies on a pile if you get my drift. My brother in law and I were walking about 2 miles one way past the gun range to set up more blinds work a good 4 hours on these and thought we had it made to ourselves. We got to see many deer, fox, armadillos, and a ring tailed cat ( he came withing 5 yards of me it was cool). We had way too many other people there but we had a great time and got the feel for the area and setups. We look forward to hunting there next year but not that weekend lol.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts