2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Academy has these on sale for $29.99. I know they are Academy exclusives and are usually $49.99.

Does anyone own one or have any opinions of them?? The price seems too good to pass up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought one for my son not too long ago. It seems decent to me and he can abuse tackle pretty quick. He's 7 yrs old so i expect it. He learned to throw his baitcaster with it very well. I have used it a few times while he uses my stuff and i thought it nice. I think the price sounds good but i don't remember what we paid. I say if you like the way it feels, go for it.

tight lines

Vince

·
Manvel Mob
829 Posts
i just bught one couldn't pass up the price havn't used it yet though. I have a more expensive ARS and like it.

·
I just love rod threads! No Spam baby
3,776 Posts
Imo

They are worth the money if you don't have to have $100 rods.
Or $200 rods.

They are usually a little heavier blanks than rated it seems like.
I have a few and I haven't had any issues.

·
Registered
42 Posts
on 4th of july weekend, I bought one for 19.88 (reconditioned) @ Academy in Brownsville. Great price. Still need spin reel. 6' 6". Also a 8' surf rod. $19.99.

·
Healthy spine= tight lines
239 Posts
We have two they are definatly worth more than fifty bucks all eyelits are solid only problem with one it cracked in half at the base, but went to the dock and drove to a academy and replaced it with their warranty went back out and caught a 24 inch trout on the first cast with the new one. acdademy has been great with their warrenties if a eyelit breaks go get a new one they've never turned us down with castaway, all star, or american rodsmith. its definatly a super rod for the price.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have two spinning and use them hands down over my $65 allstar. They are light, moderately sensitive and can take a big red on... Mine are a little taxing if you use a popping cork all day... For that i use a little stiffer rod.

Good Luck

·
Registered
97 Posts
watch the eyelets

I picked up a 7 footer with my curado combo back in November. 2 weeks ago I noticed the eyelet on the tip was missing. I mean the eyelet was there but the nylon or what ever it is insert was missing. When I took it back to Academy they replaced it with limited resistance but the guy at the counter said he has seen an unusually higher number of ARS rods coming in with eyelet problems. I thought for a minute about exchanging it for a Castaway or Allstar but other than the eyelet I really have enjoyed the rod.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts