2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Shawn is right, Matt. 30 seconds too long and it is like eating a tire. My preference is to hit the seasoning very lightly so you don't cover up the taste of the fish. I just use a little salt, onion powder, and Chef Paul Prudhomme's Seafood Majic or Blackened Redfish Seasoning Mix. A couple of good side dishes for that are macaroni and cheese and fresh green beans with a few cut up red-skin taters, steamed until the taters are tender and the beans still have just a little bit of "snap" left in 'em.

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
I have a seasoning blend that I use just for grilling fish. I'll give you the recipe when I get home tonight.

If you want to use a commercial-made seasoning, try to find something without salt (or low salt).

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Re: AJs

Excellent fried. Trim off the red meat, cut fillets into 1/2 inch medallions, a little chachere's on the meat, roll in cornmeal, then the grease. If you grill it, do it on tin foil or in a fish basket, it tends to flake apart on the grill.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Matt,

Shawn is right, your cooking some of the best fish you could possibly eat. I like it more than snapper and have never found a method of cooking it that I didn't like!

Be creative, don't worry, you'll like it!

·
Old yellow member
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have plenty so

I'll try several ways of cooking it.

I ended up with several fish because two of the guys on my trip this weekend where from out of town. Darn the bad luck they couldn't take it all home. :D

·
Imagery by RH Keeling
1,445 Posts
Hey Matt, I got some AJ thawing as I write. This is how I'm grilling it this evening.

Marinate in Italian salad dressing 30-45- minutes.

Sprinkle some Old Bay on both sides and slap them on a hot grill.

Repeating what everyone else already stated... don't overcook!

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
IMHO, it is not only unnecessary to turn fish while grillin', it is the wrong thing to do. I leave the skin attached and put the fish on the grill skin side down. Comes out juicy and tender and flaky every time no matter how thick the steak/fillet is.

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
as the promised the seasoning mix I use for AJ's (and any other grilled fish). It's real simple:

Creole Dry Rub

4 T salt

3 T garlic powder

2 T black pepper

2 t dried basil, crumbled

3 t cayenne pepper

3 t paprika

3 t cumin

I only put in 1 T salt

This rub is good for fish, chiken, pork or beef. If you leave out the salt and want to use the rub on chicken, beef or pork, you will have to salt the meat.

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Sounds great Shawn. I just put this into my recipes folder and I'll be givin' it a test real soon. Just from lookin' at the 'grediments and trying to imagine all those flavors blended, I expect it to be very good. Once I try it I'll catch up with ya and give ya a report on how it went.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Way Back Yonder When I Lived In Key Largo.....

There was a lady who had a fish smoking business and her specialty was Amberjack. People at the local Tiki Bars would eat them in small square chunks on toothpicks. It was the thang at the bars up and down the Keys instead of pretzels or goldfish crackers.

If you caught an AJ, you'd filet out the back on each side and take it to her. She in turn would trade with you already smoked fish in the amount equal to half the weight of your raw fish. YUM!! CF?

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
John, we need a few bars that do that around here! It sounds yummie!

·
Registered
956 Posts
I agree with all the above advice but will add it is great fried in a beer batter! Here is my recipe

Cut AJ into 1 to 1 1/2 inch medallions
Bring peanut oil to 375 degrees. Use a thermometer since frying temp is very important. I also use at least 1/2 gallon of oil on a powerful outdoor burner to keep the temp up after adding the fish. Use more oil for more fish.

1 cup flour
3 T corn starch
1 t salt
1 cup beer (wheat, light etc. don't recommend dark beers)
1 T vegetable oil

Mix dry ingredients, then blend in beer and the vegetable oil. Drink remaining 4 ounces of beer.

you may add some paprika, nutmeg, cayenne pepper if you would like.

·
Banned
11 Posts
Try this one. Simple and quick.

Pre heat oven to 500 degrees, yes, 500, for the weak at heart, 475 will be OK.
If you have a convection oven, that is best.

Use nice filets, not more 3/4" to 7/8" thick. Do not season.

Heat skillet very hot, as if to blacken (if you have a no-stick surface, great, try to use no oil, ........it will burn and taint the fish)

Drop the filets into skillet, cook 1 minute each side. Do not blacken.

Remove filets to a small cake cooling rack (a wire rack) and place this rack onto a cookie sheet. Place into screaming hot oven for 3-4 minutes, yes, 3-4 min., and serve immediately. It should be golden brown, not dark.

This method renders the surface of the fish crunchy, and the middle of the meat juicy, shiney, and translucent.........just right.

May have to experiment with this method, it is easy to screw-up. I had several pieces I did in succession to establish my correct cooking times. The bothched ones went well with catsup and a cold Shiner.

May use the sauce of your choice, but AJ doesnt need flavor inhancement.

Works well with redfish, snapper, ling, etc., but not trout, as it will fall apart.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts