2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about the surf fishing this week and decided it was as good as the early-mid 90's.
The last three or four years have been particularly slow in my opinion. I also noticed that the vast majority of the fish were 15"-18" which would make them what, two or three years old? I'm talking massive schools of surf run specks. A neighbor said she saw them at the SLP pier a few days ago rafting like mullet by the thousands.

I guess my question is what caused the aparently massive spawn two-three years ago? Katrina-Rita effect............?

Do you think all the run-off from the flooding had an effect like forcing trout out of the bays?
Just trying to figure it out some.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
water

I would think all of the freshwater runoff has had a big role. I think the fish have been pushed south due to the runoff. We were catching trout in the back end and upper parts of Trinity up until a month ago and although there are still some small pockets of salt up there it is washed out for the most part. This has been a slow summer for fishing up in the upper parts and that has NOT been the case the last few years. This IMO correlates to what your saying.

Z

·
JimD
7,161 Posts
Hey Kenny

I have not been able to fish this summer so catch my share for me if you will.

If you get tired of fishing you can come help build some fence and do some tractor work south of Marble Falls where the 20 inch rain did some damage. I got about 17 to 18 inches that day. Working a post hold digger or t post puller or tapper will be great exercise for you to get you ready top water work for the fall. ;)

Have a good no make it a Great summer and catch them while you can and post me some good reports.

Jim

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
I agree with Gator, The fish are stacked up. As I understand it, the sediments from the hurricanes really helped the fishery.
********* said:
I would think all of the freshwater runoff has had a big role. I think the fish have been pushed south due to the runoff. We were catching trout in the back end and upper parts of Trinity up until a month ago and although there are still some small pockets of salt up there it is washed out for the most part. This has been a slow summer for fishing up in the upper parts and that has NOT been the case the last few years. This IMO correlates to what your saying.

Z

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I think Zac's right. I went to see my Dad yesterday and crossed the Brazos and the Colorado. Both are about as high as I've seen 'em. With all that fresh water, I think the trout have been pushed out of the bays to saltier water in the surf.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
water

How was the surf after Allison? Thats the last time I can remember the bays in this shape.

Boy this report will break some hearts....
Many a man didnt get to fish it....
Im one of em.....I missed the entire summer last year and have missed three quality "surf massacres" this year that I know of. Hope we get at least one more shot before its over. Maybe next week it'll settle down a bit.

Z

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
********* said:
How was the surf after Allison? Thats the last time I can remember the bays in this shape.

Im one of em.....I missed the entire summer last year and have missed three quality "surf massacres" this year that I know of. Hope we get at least one more shot before its over. Maybe next week it'll settle down a bit.

Z
Carpe Diem or Fish or Cut-Bait...... :wink:

·
Time to make the Donuts...
3,315 Posts
I too think it's because of all the fresh water in the bays. Right now the only water that is holding good fish is close to the C.C. ship channel where the influx of saltwater is more prevalent...

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I think in addition to the runoff, the rain has also helped to keep bay and surf waters a little cooler than normal.

I have reports from a buddy that waded it Tuesday (caught over 200 trout) that the water was cool and clear and that they were still catching fish in the first gut well after noon. He said the surf didn't have that "warm" feel to it at all.

I think the freshwater runoff is the main contributing factor but the cooler temperatures sure aren't hurting it either.

Here are some of his pics...

I also know there have been at least three ling caught in the surf this week. Biggest I've heard was 38".

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been thinking about the cooler than usual water temps for a while also. It definitely has affected bay fishing. IMO

·
Catch a New Personal - Learn How!
12,656 Posts
Not and expert on this...but you know, I used to have some of the same feelings...but peeps all along the gulf coast have caught trout 'off shore' in higher numbers for many years. I think there is a huge trout population that stays out there that is really untapped. Probably hard to fish for around here with not much structure for the fisherman to key on ... I think all the conditions just came together and this board as well as others have helped put the fisherman in the right spot at the right time. Nice weather has been a benefit.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Not sure if it was the runoff or what. But I know the trout were there because the BAIT was there. It was as thick as I have seen it in several years.

Sure wish I could have gotten after 'em a little more.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
kenny said:
I was thinking about the surf fishing this week and decided it was as good as the early-mid 90's.
The last three or four years have been particularly slow in my opinion. I also noticed that the vast majority of the fish were 15"-18" which would make them what, two or three years old? I'm talking massive schools of surf run specks. A neighbor said she saw them at the SLP pier a few days ago rafting like mullet by the thousands.

I guess my question is what caused the aparently massive spawn two-three years ago? Katrina-Rita effect............?

Do you think all the run-off from the flooding had an effect like forcing trout out of the bays?
Maybe a little of both? I guess no one will ever know? I have experienced the same thing. I have fished the surf four or five times this year and it has been 40 plus fish a day. I have had luck in the surf before but this year has taken the cake!

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
this year has shaped up to be the best since the mid 90's. the size and numbers of fish being caught is fantastic. live bait fisherman and artifical fisherman alike. i believe a number of factors have fallen in place to make this year what it is. rainfall is number one.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Well, I know where the trout ARE NOT hanging out. That is the the upper laguna from Baffin to the JFK causeway. There hasn't been a good trout report from there since early June.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
warcat said:
Well, I know where the trout ARE NOT hanging out. That is the the upper laguna from Baffin to the JFK causeway. There hasn't been a good trout report from there since early June.
That's just payback for how good you had it last spring. Hogs the whole way to Penascal and beyond.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
If that's the truth then I can't wait for this winter. It's gonna' be sick.

capt. david said:
this year has shaped up to be the best since the mid 90's. the size and numbers of fish being caught is fantastic. live bait fisherman and artifical fisherman alike. i believe a number of factors have fallen in place to make this year what it is. rainfall is number one.

·
Roll Tide!
15,791 Posts
kenny said:

Oh sure! Rib it in why don't ya! I've been stuck in Chicago all week.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts