2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got ahold of a couple of Zebco's and plan to do some fishing around the San Marcos, TX area(San Marcos/Blanco Rivers, Canyon/Travis Lake). I've only done saltwater fishing so I have no clue what i'm getting myself into.

Just a few questions,

What kind of fish am I fishing for?

What sort of bait/jig/lure should I be using?(techniques too)

Any hot spots ya'll recommend?

I got my girlfriend a rod and reel for her b-day but don't know how to catch anything up here. Trying to look macho. hehe. Any help would be much appreciated.

p.s. I don't have a boat.

Thanks,
Aaron

·
Ankle Deep Custom Rods
3,467 Posts
I can't help you with San Marcos....but Canyon I can. Fish light line around the main lake points and get a good map of the lake....pay attention to where the old river channel runs up close to the shoreline...the main key to Canyon is the 10 -15 ft depth. Canyon is real clear and very little structure at all.....I favor plum/chart 6" worms and black and blue jigs for working the bottom and Fire Tiger or any kind of green bodied crank bait. The shad in this lake have a green hue to them in the water. Its also has a very huge crawfish population and is a great small mouth lake.

·
Fin-ish Fantasy ('93)
4,668 Posts
You can fish below Canyon Dam for rainbows. I am not sure if they are easily catchable on non-fly tackle in the summer like this though. Lots of fun around Christmas though!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
try fishing the blanco around five mile.... if u have access to a kayak even better. put in at five mile and head upstream. i usually do pretty good on crawdad crankbaits or small soft plastic crawdads texas rigged or small worms. if u dont have access to a kayak u can park at the bridge going on post road and wade downstream fish. the fishin has been tough though with the lack of rain. i've caught a few smallmouths in that area as well as the usual largemouth. as for canyon we've been catching smallmouth pretty regularly. u can fish of the bank in turkey cove near the boat ramp. try castnetting minnows or shad of the dock. its a guarunteed hook-up if u sling one out under a cork. if u want to fish artificials u can use the same lures i described above to catch the smallmouth as wading_fool mentioned above. good luck....thomas

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Small inline spinners will keep you unhooking fish all day long.

Rooster Tail in 1/8th oz in whatever color you prefer. If you can cast 1/16th that will work also. You may not catch anything over 2-3 pounds, but small river bass are very good fighters. Especially on light tackle. Have fun.

·
laid up here in a country state of mind
526 Posts
secret spot

pm me if you have a kayak or canoe. i have a secret spot on the comal -

5-7 lb bass on large live minnows. I fished it alot when i was on school. only accessable by boat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts