2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In need of some suggested places to contact about getting this burn bar repaired. This thing actually broke while trailering the boat down the freeway. The burn bar also serves to hold a removable t-top, and my best guess is the flexing of the top driving down the freeway caused the platform frame to crack, and the wind did the rest.

The entire frame is coated in a bedliner type material, so that will need to be addressed to. It is removed from the boat now, so hoping for somewhere I can just drop it off and pick up when ready.

Recommendations for shops - I'm in El Campo, but willing to travel to drop it off.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions-calls being made today

Anyone used Specialty Aluminum Works (SAWs) in Victoria - I used them maybe 15 yrs ago for another project, but I think the owner Jack has sold the business since then.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I was gonna recommend SAW in Victoria. I never used them but live here and have heard good things about them over the years.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I ended up using SAWs - Kirk was awesome to work with and had it back to me less than 10 days (even though he said 3 weeks!) and corrected the reason it broke in the 1st place - undersized thin wall tubing for the original platform Because it was covered in a bedliner material, he sent it off to have all that burned off, then did the repair and had it black mat powder coated. Since the bar had to be rewired again, went ahead and cleaned up the mess under the console, new amp, new starting and house batteries, Blue Seas Add a Battery kit with charger, fuse blocks, etc. Still working on the removable top wiring and lights. Added a separate rocker panel to the dash just for the t-top accessories since the top is rarely on except for lake/family trips. Picked up the 8 pin male/female connector on Amazon-perfect for 16ga wire

·
Registered
742 Posts
Something to consider is to have your trailer tires balanced if they are not. I’ve seen fenders, light posts shake going down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No doubt - I always balance any of my trailer tires. 1st thing I did when I bought this boat in March 2020 was new tires and new torsion axles with vault hubs (2015 coastline) as the originals were in bad shape and by the amount of grease on the wheels, they were leaking and ready to fail. Correction - my 17yr old son learned another lesson in boat ownership as he got to do the work while I "supervised"-LOL! One thing interesting was the original axles on the trailer were only 19 deg, so they had 3"x3" spacer blocks to clear fenders. The axles from McClain were 30deg, so no spacer block needed. Also, the original axles were only bolted to the frame on the outside mounting holes and not the inner frame side so only 2 bolts per each axle side. McClain said to drill the inner sides and mount each axle side with 4 bolts. Was a cool and rather easy project (for my son!!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts