2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we are currently in granby, co at 8800 ft. above level. my son, who is almost 7, has lost his appetite and been vomiting. we googled altitude sickness or mountain sickness to seek information on it after a emplyee here suggested that he might have that wrong with him. there is no fever, coughing, etc. i mentioned it to another employee here and he said his ear has been stopped up for a week from it. i, obviously, am from katy and have no idea what this illness is.

has anyone dealt with this mess? if so, is there something we can do for him besides make him drink water and give him dramimine. we were told that if we lower his elevation, he would get better. we went skiing at 8200 ft, but he did not improve at all. we are leaving back to katy friday, but was hoping that i could get him to feeling better so his vacation doesn't suck so much.

thanks, guys.

·
Registered
339 Posts
That happened to me a few times as a kid. There is a medicine that raises your red blood cell count (those are the ones that carry oxygen). Get him those from a local doc, and maybe rent an oxygen machine for him to sleep w/. Let him rest and give him fluids. Once his body adjusts, he will be fine.

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
They say to take it easy and drink lot's of non-alcoholic liquids for the first couple of days. Feels a little like a hangover.

·
DeadEyeDean
1,500 Posts
Yes lots of water very important.

I get to feeling a little bad every time I go to Denver but when I drink plenty of water I don't.

Not sure if he is already that bad other than to get to lower altitude and rest/water. Should be right in a day.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I am so glad that you posted this and hope that your son feels better. My DIL told me today that my grandchildren have been doing the same thing. They are 5 and 3. My son is in the Army and was transfered to Ft. Carson, Colorado Springs. They arrived this past Sunday. I had read you post and I told her about it so hope it helps them out too!!

·
Registered
10,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
THIS IS THE PM SENT TO ME AND VERY INFORMATIVE. IT IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE PLANNING TO VISIT THESE HIGHER ELEVATIONS. I KNEW THAT WE WOULD HAVE A HARDER TIME BREATHING WHEN SLEDDING, SKIING, AND SUCH, BUT DIDN'T KNOW HOW BAD IT REALLY IS. JUST WALKING WILL DO IT. ITS TAKES SOME GETTING USED TO. THIS PM IS RIGHT ON THOUGH. IF YOU OR ANYONE IN YOUR FAMILY IS PLANNING A TRIP TO HIGHER ELEVATION, BE SURE TO DRINK PLENTY OF WATER BEFORE YOU GO. VERY GOOD ADVICE IN THIS PM:

"Been taking kids up there for years. The air is so dry, you will not believe how much body moisture you can loose just by breathing. And as soon as you begin to get dehydrated, you will not be able to process enough oxygen and start getting headaches. In almost every time we had altitude problems with kids they were not drinking enough water. It is usually worse with kids because as adults we have more water in our bodies in the form of fat and can go longer before dehydration sets in.
They will need to drink 2 or 3 times what they drink here in Houston breathing 100% humidity air vs the low humidity in the mountians.
If they already have altitude sickness it will take a day to rehydrate.
Most ski patrols have oxygen at the first aid stations at the lifts.
10-15 minutes of pure oxygen will cure the symtoms pretty fast and re hydration will keep them from coming back.

Once we had this all figured out we started getting the kids drinking more water before they even got on the plane here in Houston and kept up the greater water consumption from the first day at altitude through the whole trip. Have not had problems since. And now are taking the grandkids and doing the same thing with them with great success."

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
being a flat lander (oklahoma) I don't claim to be an expert on altitude medicine, but, get your kid the hell down the hill.
that being said, I really don't know what he looks like or how sick he is, maybe he ate something bad. take him to an urgent care for advice for 100 bucks. hydration is a good idea BEFORE gaining altitude. try to gain altitude over a day or two. supposedly about 7500 ft I believe is where probs start.

·
Custom User Title space for rent
5,212 Posts
Lots of water & get in shape before getting high...in the mountains. Thin are is tough on people who are not fit.

·
Registered
162 Posts
sickness

OMG...It's the worse sickness ever. This past trip to Colorado was my first trip without being sick. Driving to CO helped. Drinking lots of water is very important. I hope your kid starts feeling better soon. I will never fly again to go snow skiing. The first 24 hours I'm severly sick.

·
DOINK
10,027 Posts
water water water... A humidifier helps also. Asprin is not bad either. I love Granby BTW... we usually spend Christmas in Gand Lake just north of ya.

good luck

·
Registered
10,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
he's been drinking water and had his first meal in about 2 days. and is still doing fine and pretty rapidly recovering. he says he no longer feels nauseous. his energy has returned and he has recovered in time to make the firework show for new year's eve. we are leaving tomorrow, so we will reach low elevations and breathe humid air then. can't wait to get back and wet a line.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts