2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Equine connoisseur
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I decided I couldn't blame the dryer for shrinking my jeans any more and I need to get in shape for my Africa trip. Plus, I've got a new, younger girlfriend and I gotta keep up with her. ;)
Sooo, yesterday I measured out about a mile and decided to go for it. Did some stretches and lit out. Well, about a quarter of a mile into it, I was pantin' like a road lizard. Geez, I'm outta shape. I made two miles (one each way) walking and jogging. It wasn't so much my muscles, I just had no air. I'm sore, but not bad. I slept like a proverbial rock, too.
I got back and plopped down and was tempted to pop a top on a nice cold Beast (thanks J), but I figgered that was defeating the purpose. LOL
Anyway, anyone got some running tips? I HATE running, but I'm gonna commit to doing it.

Adios,
Pablo

BTW-Thanks Mont for getting the board up and running again.

·
Ice tea and beans
4,588 Posts
the main thing

is to keep your heart rate up, for at least 20 minutes. Running, walking, swimming, or even biking, are all good ways. Walking may be prefered to running, as it is easier on your joints.

I hated running, and while serious into rugby, was the only time I enjoyed it. There was reward after a running, I got to tackle someone.....lol.....

·
That DamnYankee!!
4,076 Posts
Ya might try riding a bike for awhile until you get used to the increased activity. I probably can't run as far as the corner anymore but 15 miles on the bike isn't too bad.

·
Registered
26,147 Posts
Wes, start out slow, like 9 / 10 minute miles and build up your speed slowly. Be sure and stretch before you start...especially the hamstrings and the shins.

Get a walkman or a MP3 player to listen to - it makes the time go faster. Look for one of those tapes of military cadences, play it while you are running and sing along (hope you don't have too many neighbors). By singing along with the tape, it will help with your breathing...alot. You'll look like a dork and all your neighbors will know when you are on your way...but it really works.

Shawn

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
You started out the right way. Just take it slow. If you are gasping for air stop and walk. Once your breathing becomes ok it's back to jogging. The key for me was to slowly build up.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I agree with BertS. If you hate to run there are other means of achieving the same goal (although running is probably the cheapest). But since you are committing yourself to running, first thing you need to do is get a good pair of sneaks. Not saying you have to go crazy, but the pounding your body takes while running could result in the breakdown of your body if you don't have shoes that can absorb the added force of those Beast induced pounds, and more importantly, will make you hate running even more. Don't skimp out on the stretching....very important grasshopper! Start off slow....seriously, walk (with a purpose). The panting is due to your body's inability to provide the required oxygen to your muscles. Your body will learn but it ain't gonna' happen overnight so you are going to have to give it time. Concentrate on inhaling through your nose and exhaling from your mouth. If during your running you are not able to maintain that pattern then you need to slow down!!! Overtime you will find that it gets easier...don't get me wrong, it will suck for a while, but again, your body will adapt. And as for the sheer boredom, think about fishin'!!! My .02. Just do it!!!

G

·
I've been walking outside and using a treadmill at a fitness center for about three years. I do it @ 5 mornings per week for 45 - 50 minutes. Between that and cholesterol meds, it's keeping me out of coronary problems. The weight loss thing is a matter of replacing bad habits with good ones and eating smaller portions of healthier food. Can't comment on how drinking effects weight loss. I don't drink.

·
"We're gonna need a bigger boat!"
3,484 Posts
I had to quit jogging for health reasons; when I ran, my thighs rubbed together and set my shorts on fire! lol

Seriously, start out slow and build yourself up. Pretty soon you'll realize the pain is getting less and less and it will get really enjoyable!

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Turn back the clock Wes! LOL

Your too old for that stuff! LOL J/K and ducking. Actually Im one of the few who really love to run, unfortunately God didnt design me to be a runner. In the Corps we were running upwards of 20 miles a week but here recently when i was still a motivated ttmb weight loss challenge participant I was clocking about 3.5 at best. My best advise I have found over the years is work your way up to it. Start off walking that distance a few times and quicken your pace a little after a few times. Eventually you'll get up to jogging the whole thing.
Next make sure you stretch before and AFTER each workout. I found with me the post workout stretching kept me going longer than the pre stretching because it kept me from hurting the next day. If it hurts to high heavens the next day you are more likely to give up.
Next, as Shawn said, get you a portable mp3, cd, or just plain ol radio to listen too as your running. It will take your mind off the task at handand you will be suprised at how much easier it is to complete.
My last bit of advise is to make sure you are hydrated good. Drink plenty of agua the day BEFORE and you'll be better off. So many folks drink a glass before heading out and they dont realize it does them no good. You must hydrate a good 6-8 hours in advance. Good luck partner and let us all know how it goes(keeping up with the young lady that is!LOL

Zac

Oh yea, I have several cd's of Marine Corps cadence if you want a copy. One is a Force Recon cd and they will have you goin, "shuffle, shuffle, shuffle" down the highway so dang fast you'll run 10 miles before you know it.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Cant really help

,but I will say if you see me running you best follow cause theres bad stuff a commin hehehe,getter done..........................................later,Dave

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey, Pablo. What I do is when I got close to where I'm gonna run I throw a rock through somebody's window. Just need a little incentive. RickyT

·
Husband First, Fisherman Second...
1,988 Posts
Our track coach in college used to start us spirinters(who hate running long distance) out every fall semester with 3 x 5 minutes runs. In between each 5 minute run we would take a 2 minute break. Each day we increased 6,7,8...13 minutes, and the breaks decreased. We did this for 3 weeks to get our summer break off our back before starting sprint work-outs. If I were you just starting out...do the 3 x 5 minute for a two or three days before increasing. Most people start out doing TOO much and get burned out or hurt. Also wear soft shoes or run on grass stay away from concrete and wore out shoes. Shin splints and tendonitis in the knees can occur if you just started running. Swimming or running in a pool will work your muscles without the stress of the ground. I had enough of that running stuff...i walk Down stairs everyday, take the elevator up...I'll run to the store in my truck...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts