2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Not on call Steve!!
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am selling a washer and dryer right now and I been talking to a guy via email this week. He seemed like a nice gentleman and I was looking forward to completing this sale. Well, Yesterday he sent me an email stating that his bank accidently sent the wrong amount on the check and to please send the overpayment back to him. The sale was suppose to be for $200 and the check was made out for $2500!! I received the check this morning via UPS. It looked legit so I took the check to my bank to cash it and send the balance back. He infomed me on the last email that I could keep an extra $100 for my trouble. Well, anyway, while the teller was cashing the check I thought "hold on". This doesn't seem right. I told the teller what was going on and she took the information to her manager. They decided that more than likely it was fraud and that they were keeping the check to send to their investagation department. I also gave them an email with the info he gave me to where to send the money. Don't ask me why it took so long for me to wise up, but I'm just glad I did. So, hopefully anyone else reading this can take note and not fall for this kinda scam. BTW, all this was through Craigslist.
Steve

·
Registered
135 Posts
This is an old scam!! Lucky you didn't fall for it. I'm surprised you hadn't heard of this scam as soon as the guy told you to reimburse him for the overpayment.

·
DS1262
2,137 Posts
Old but effective scam. Basic human greed usually is what makes these things work. There are many variations of this scam, but the basic premise is that you get more than you were asking for sending the SA your money.

·
Not on call Steve!!
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
reelumin said:
This is an old scam!! Lucky you didn't fall for it. I'm surprised you hadn't heard of this scam as soon as the guy told you to reimburse him for the overpayment.
Yeah, the sad part is that I have heard of this scam, but just didn't cross my mind. Too busy working this week... I guess.
I'm trying to keep in touch with my bank to find out if they catch him or not.

·
Banned
938 Posts
Yup, Old Scam.

A guy here at work starting a PC consulting business. Well a lady "from germany" said she was going to send him 10 laptops to fix but before that she sent him a check for 5,000.00 but the job was only going to cost her 2,000.00

So she wanted my co-worker to send her back the extra overpayment.

Very old scam but a lot of people really get suckered into it.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Back when I posted my boat for sale on Craigs, mand did I get hit by those emails.
I email them back sometimes for fun with somthing like, "I keep almost all my money in a savings acount, can you wire me the money."

Your instinct was right.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Someone in Canada has issued several fraudelant checks off of my account at the office for $4950.00 each time. Luckily we use a service called 'Positive Pay' so none of them have been honored, just hope the people trying to cash them haven't fallen for the scam.

·
Not on call Steve!!
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CoastalOutfitters said:
save the UPS mailer, they will need it , esp if from out of state.
It was from Arlington. Also, there are 3 different names I've seen encountered with this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts